2013 2 months away

stuffradioNovember 1, 2012

Anyone else excited? In two months, I will start growing Artichokes and Strawberries, followed by Broccoli, Cauliflower, etc. I'm really trying to find some sort of a low tunnel I can install outside so I can grow things weeks earlier than when I'm supposed to. Nothing too expensive, but nothing crappy either.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pretty.gurl(5)

I have already started my strawberries. I have one plant, one seedling, and I am trying to germinate more. They seem grow fine inside. A little leggy but healthy.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 12:26PM
Aindra(8, BC)

I have a few ideas I'd like to do in next season but I'll have to wait until then. I have the limited space so I need to wait to see if all or any of my perennial plants survives the winter before deciding on which plants to grow.

I definitely will grow my shelling peas in a few months. I'll be aiming for earlier date now I know they can handle colder temp than I thought.

All this strawberry talk! I got two strawberry plants from my mom as a gift last spring, and I ended up with five (actually more but I had to cut them back) due to them multiplying like the rabbits. I'll see if they survive the winter.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 9:02PM
stuffradio

They should survive the winter. I had strawberry plants surviving the winter without any protection this year. Remember we had that deep freeze in January.

Bookmark   November 2, 2012 at 2:30AM
ltilton

The crucial point in growing strawberries is in the spring, once the plants are growing and starting to bud. Then they may need protection against frost that can kill the buds and flowers.

Bookmark   November 2, 2012 at 8:46AM
Aindra(8, BC)

Yes I did some research about the strawberries. According to it, in my zone, they can survive unprotected in the containers.

I was born in 2b zone then moved here. I remember that year so well because it snowed only once (during winter solstice, Dec 21 - I found it amusing) in an entire year! It felt so strange, not seeing snow in winter.

Afterwards I experienced cold winters (tons of blizzards. Fun time with several blackouts, brr) and warm winters. As stuffradio knows, we had a deep freeze back in Jan. I gave up trying to guess what our winter will bring.

But yes, my mom's strawberry gifts did endure that freeze and did just fine so I'm expecting them to survive this winter too. I'll keep that buds info in mind next spring.

Bookmark   November 2, 2012 at 10:02AM
More Discussions
I don't remember what I planted.
This is my first year gardening and I can't seem to...
riggem
Starting a garden in Corpus Christi Texas
I am a beginning gardener and I have gotten some helpful...
mollysmom_2008
Potatoes and snakes
Perhaps you all can debunk an absurd concern I've had...
formerly_creativeguy
Plastic hardware cloth
How easily can critters chew through it?
hairmetal4ever
Old fertilizer question
I have a large bag of 10-10-10 that got wet. I doubt...
zzackey
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™