wandering jew curling

firstimegardener(zone 3)October 20, 2008

quick question, I have had a purple heart wandering jew for about a year now,I keep it in a south facing window and water it regularly, and mist it daily, the same thing I have been doing for the last year, my question is over about the last month the leaves have started curling up on me, at first I thought I had some creepy crawlies but I thoroughly checked the plant itself and the soil and couldn't find any. anyone have any ideas why she is doing this or what I can do to get her to open back up? any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
frazzledgessie(5)

My only guess if the plant doesn't have bugs is possibly it is getting too much sunlight. I have mine in a west window. You could do a search on the forum, there is a lot of information here.

Bookmark   October 22, 2008 at 7:46AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

firstimegardener, just to make sure that we are all talking about the same plant, check out the attached image to see if it matches what you are talking about. Sometimes, common names can cause confusion.

If it IS what you have, you should know that it grows in the full blazing sun, even here in the sunny south. The lack of sun might be the issue.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   October 22, 2008 at 12:18PM
firstimegardener(zone 3)

ok so thats not what I have the one that I have has green on the tops of the leaves and the undersides are purple. I would take a pic, but my wonderful new puppy decided that the camera would make a marvelous chew toy. any tips rhizo? sorry about the confusion

Bookmark   October 23, 2008 at 2:33PM
koicool1

the wandering jew with the green stripes on the top with purple on the bottom of the leaf is a shade plant and should not have any more that 4 hours of direct sun.

Bookmark   November 27, 2008 at 11:08AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Really? A shade plant?
I grew my Wandering Jew outside on the back deck all summer....and, in warmer zones, I've heard of folks growing them outdoors year-round...
I thought the sun kept the growth super-compact, tight, erect, and bright purple!
Now that the peak growth season is past, the vines are leggy (etoliated), the leaves have reduced in size, and the green coloration is gradually becoming more prominent.

Josh

Bookmark   November 27, 2008 at 1:45PM
More Discussions
Aglaonema - help
I bought this red aglaonema couple of months back....
bluehaven_gweb
Hawaiian Schefflera - 'Haircut' & Propagate
In this Forum, where I have been for only 1 week, I...
bobv2
Advice for my almost dead aglaonema
Please help me nurse this plant back. It was given...
Kelby Miller
Ming aralia
I've had a Ming Aralia in my cubicle for almost 6 months...
yuliju
Schefflera and corn plant sharing a pot?
Anyone tried planting schefflera and Dracaena Fragrans...
Peter
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™