old grill & theme plants

Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)May 3, 2012

This old charcoal grill's legs rusted away so we (he) dug a hole so it would sit flush to the ground. There are the 2 grates still inside, we use the lower one for building a bigger fire or if it's really windy, or use the higher food grate if we just want to light up a few sticks to toast marshmallows. It's not close to anything or any trees and the lid smothers the coals so we feel safe about going back inside.

I need to get some newspaper around the edge in a lip under the bricks. Then it will be easy to move the bricks & mow close enough to not need to use an edger here, (which doesn't get between bricks anyway) then put the bricks back. We want this to be easy to replace with grass if desired in the future.

I had muttered something about using this grill as a planter but that got vetoed for this, which I love. But I have my eye on another grill that I think will be decommissioned from its' original purpose soon. It's a gas grill, which is not nearly as appealing to me as the classic lines of this beauty, but with enough stuff spilling out of it, I think it could be cool & pretty. Does anyone had any "grill planter" ideas or pics you'd like to share?

What would be some puns I could use? Like "red hot pokers"? HOT peppers? No offense to the "named cultivar" aficionados, but I don't spend much money on gardening. The more common, the better please! Kind of wanted the best pun plants to decide if it'll be mostly sun or shade...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chelcass(Z5 Michigan, U.P.)

I have a couple gas grills (now planters). When I was living up north I put purple stripped petunias in one and set in my driveway. The petunias grew like crazy and even drooped over the sides. They had 50/50 sun shade. Wish I could find a picture. On the bottom shelf(by the wheels) I had decorative vases.

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 4:35PM
nonacook(8bFL)

I have used black plastic instead of newspaper for this of this sort. Works great.

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 6:56PM
concretenprimroses(4B NH)

I would be cautious about newspaper or anything flamable. I use newspaper for weed control to so I know what you are saying. Another approach would be bricks or stones buried so they are the same height as the lawn and the mower wheel could go up on them.
Kathy

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 5:18PM
Calamity_J(z7bc)

I saw someone on the forum, had a very cool plant that resembled flames when it bloomed...it was super cool!!! Check out the search engine on this forum at the bottom of the page?

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 11:40AM
Calamity_J(z7bc)

Hope this works

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 11:54AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Thanks for the inputs!

Celosia! Good one, calamity.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 3:55PM
More Discussions
Recycling old purses in the garden!
I would have never thought of this myself! I sure wish...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Did this work?
This is our wedding car from "78. It was used...
nancyjane_gardener
Working with crushed gemstones
Maybe this is a question to a wrong forum, but I see...
briergardener_gw
A Birdhouse Trellis
Here is a birdhouse trellis I made this summer from...
kirkus
Satellite dish
My first attempt at painting a discarded dish that...
oldcrafty
Sponsored Products
Teak Rectangular Planter
Signature Hardware
Kenroy Home Spotlights Spot 5 in. Brushed Steel Spot Light 20506BS
$34.00 | Home Depot
Flora Pendant
Lightology
Seaweed Specimen Wall Art II
$429.00 | FRONTGATE
Artificial Delphinium Stems (Set of 12)
Overstock.com