Growing vegetables from seed

gardenerprer(9a Phoenix)November 29, 2012

Hello,

I am new to this and planning on growing lettuce, Spinach, carrots, cilantro from seeds during this time. I am from Phoenix so its not that cold here right now. Can I grow them directly outside in the vegetable raised garden bed or would I have to start them indoor? It is upper 70s in day and lower 50s in nights.
Thank you for any inputs.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimster(z7a MA)

I encourage you to direct seed most of your vegetables. I only start a few indoors, such as tomatoes and peppers.

I have no experience gardening in your climate but the temperatures seem about right.

Jim

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 3:35PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

The vegetables/herbs you list grow better direct sown than transplanted. All three have a tendency to bolt unless either direct sown or transplanted at a very early stage. Your temps would be mid summer in my climate. Plenty warm enough for the items you list.

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 3:59PM
tracydr(9b)

What you just mentioned I would grow directly in the garden. Check out some of the Maricopa County calenders for planting dates but right now is perfect timing.
There is plenty of other things you could plant, too if you'd like. Chard, kale and collards last a lot loger than spinach when the heat of the spring hits. Beets do really well in our high pH and you can eat the greens like chard. We eat stir fried chard with eggs for breakfast most mornings.
Mustards and lettuce do great right now. Stir fry mixes also do well, as do peas. If you've never tried garden fresh peas you're in for a treat.

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 11:09AM
jimster(z7a MA)

Chard is a terrific vegetable to grow. It is productive, foolproof and delicious. As Tracy says, it can tolerate much more heat than spinach.

Jim

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 1:48PM
More Discussions
nibbler of artichokes and broccoli
Hi, All, I recently moved from NJ to CA and am faced...
emmers_m
Leek starting woes
I'm having trouble getting my leeks going. A couple...
bart1
What to direct seed in eastern pa
Hi everyone. I'm begining to plan my garden for spring,...
mfran12345
Best kind of mulch for vegetable garden
What kind of mulch is recommended for a veggie garden?...
Peter
Do eggplants have high yield?
I'm going to grow one. Thinking of growing two. Do...
shijitake
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™