What would your dream sunroom look like?

christie_sw_mo(Z6)October 26, 2010

I'm asking in this forum because I want a sunroom that is usuable for living space year-round so I'm thinking the conditions would be similar to the rest of our house but with more light and suitable for growing plants.

I've been hanging around Gardenweb for many years, just not in this forum because I've never had a good place for houseplants in my home.

Just thinking it would be nice to have a big room with wall-to-wall green. I must be getting the winter blues already and it's not even November yet. lol

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenchic(7)

oh it would look a little like this...

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   October 26, 2010 at 4:15PM
lathyrus_odoratus(5A-IL)

That's a very lovely dream.

Bookmark   October 26, 2010 at 7:06PM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

Beautiful Greenchic! The fireplace makes it look very inviting.

Would you want a glass ceiling or just walls? Lots of birds on my property. I'm not sure overhead glass would stay clean very long. lol And I was wondering if a glass ceiling would make it TOO sunny for some plants.

I was looking through Google images and saw a sunroom that had a horizontal pole suspended from the ceiling that went all the way across the room for hanging plants. That would be a handy feature. Or maybe a couple columns of adjustable bookcase type shelves to sit plants on instead of just glass all the way around.

Here's what comes up on Google images for "Sunroom plants"

Here is a link that might be useful: Google images

Bookmark   October 27, 2010 at 7:44AM
angeleyedcat

I'd love that dream too! I have 2 stories high of windows in my living room, it works good but if I ever do get a sunroom I'd like it to have at a least part glass ceiling to give more sun longer if needed, especially during the winter in the north. I'd really like the floor to be "easy clean" so I wouldn't have to worry about the mess.

Bookmark   October 27, 2010 at 8:05AM
cardarlin(5)

Mine would be this...

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunroom

Bookmark   October 27, 2010 at 9:57AM
greenchic(7)

christie: your so right! the birds would have too much fun with a glass ceiling and i wouldnt want to climb a ladder with a hose every day. maybe a partial glass ceiling cause in the winter im going to need all the light i can get

angeleyecat: no carpet no way :)even though its in the picture it wouldnt be realistically functional. but i would really enjoy a lovely garden room to have parties and entertain guests. If i ever add onto my house its def. going to be a garden room...

Bookmark   October 27, 2010 at 10:49AM
jane__ny(9-10)

Greenchic, your room looks to have carpet. It would have to have tile or slate. I had large skylights in our past home and birds didn't affect the glass. The trees drop more stuff than the birds. Unless they are sitting right above they aren't a problem.

It's great to have glass ceilings because the plants grow straight up instead of leaning toward the windows. I would love one like cardarlins.

Nice dreaming,
Jane

Bookmark   October 27, 2010 at 11:23PM
flplantguy

You can have a glass roof without having to clean them frequently. Glass has come a long way over the last few years. Some of the glass is now self-cleaning. There are sunrooms and conservatories being built even where I am and are very comfortable all year long. You have to use the right materials--just like with anything else. You have to pay more to do it right.

Here is a link that might be useful: Good Sunroom Questions--many pics too.

Bookmark   March 13, 2011 at 10:19AM
More Discussions
Help!! Plant almost died while i was on vacation
Could my plant be exposed to too much sunlight? Should...
raphael1983
Spot for Calathea ornata and Ctenanthe oppenheimiana tricolor
Will they like the same spot as my Marantha leuconeura? Beside...
MsGreenFinger GW
P. erubescens: smaller and ever smaller
Hello, all. I posted this in the Aroid Forum but the...
fakechuchi
Good Growing Practices - An Overview
I am reposting this thread because the transition from...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Advice for my almost dead aglaonema
Please help me nurse this plant back. It was given...
Kelby Miller
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™