blooming Christmas cactus before hawollen?

teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)October 30, 2012

Can someone explain this.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdsnblooms

Hi Teen..long time no see..Have you been dormant? :)

Was your Thanksgiving Cactus outside? If so, when did you bring in?

Indoor heat hastens buds to flower. My TC buds are getting larger by the day,(in a cool room,)and will most likely bloom long before Thanksgiving.

BTW, nice TC..there's more buds, hopefully they'll take their time to flower. Toni

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 11:16AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Hey, TG! Good 2 hear from u. Your plant is happy - and very pretty!! I don't have one, never have, so that's the extent of my input.

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 11:33AM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

How lovely, your white blooms are really very white (rather than tinged w/ light pink as commonly are).

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 12:30PM
teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)

Thank you. Yes I did have it outside and has been near my heater. That explains it. Daylight made it bloom

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 12:34PM
birdsnblooms

Teen, can you place your TC in a cooler location? Heat will cause flowers to fade and buds to open faster than you'd like.

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 2:25PM
teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)

Yes I can. I wish it waited to bloom but gorgeous

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 9:11AM
birdsnblooms

Now that I think about it, maybe it's better you don't move your TC. Sometimes, when moved, buds 'can' drop. I wouldn't want to be/feel responsible.

Maybe someone has input.

Don't know the reason, but several people mentioned their TC's flowered during summer.
A couple of my TC's did the same, but flowers were much smaller than usual.

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 10:28AM
tnferguson(7a)

Nice Thanksgiving Cactus!

Toni is right - moving them can cause the buds to drop. Having the plant near a heat source can also cause the same problem and will cause the flowers to be very short-lived. It's up to you if you want to move your plant or not - In my opinion you run a little risk either way.

I've got 5 Thanksgiving Cactus plants that are in bud - none as far along as yours, though. My plants enjoy the Summer growing season on my front porch where they get about 2 hours of early morning sun and bright shade the rest of the day. I try to wait as long as possible (risky I know) to bring them in so that they begin blooming later. I just brought my plants in this past Sunday in advance of Hurricane Sandy.

It's definitely worth noting that some varieties do bloom earlier than others...

-Tim

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 1:53PM
greenlarry(UK 8/9)

It doesnt seem to have the sharp horns that are diagnostic of a TC, but doesnt look as smooth edged as a CC! A hybrid?

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 6:26PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

It's a Thanksgiving cactus. I'm going to guess that it will be pink in a few years. They usually do that. I've had countless holiday cacti over the years...including a white (now pink) one just like the one pictured. I have never, ever had a problem with buds or flowers popping off if I moved the plants.

And trust me, I move them all over the place! I turn them at the windows ; I move them to a focal point when in flower. Dropping buds is just something that I have never seen.

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 6:54PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Hi TG,

While I wouldn't want to be responsible for their loss either, I do believe when the buds are as far along in their development as yours, they're OK to move. It's when they're first budding that seems to be vulnerable to blasting if moved. I've heard folks say it causes the buds to turn to the light, which damages the neck of the bloom & causes it to blast. Nice job, enjoy!

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 8:22PM
birdsnblooms

Tim, yep, heat will cause bud drop, too. What's the solution?
I've read if a TC in bud must be reloated, buds should face the same direction they were facing before moving. Never tried it, but sounds logical..And a cooler location might stop buds from dropping.

Rhizo..Do you remember Pug? Haven't seen her around, hope she's okay.

Anyway, she experimented w/white/yellow flowered TC by placing in shade instead of bright light.

Her whites and yellows remained true to color. She sent pics of her TC's..I couldn't believe the colors..especially yellow.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 2:39PM
More Discussions
Question on pot-up house Azaleas
I have no problem growing florist Azalea as a houseplant....
jujujojo_gw
Has anybody seen the micro ZZ Plant "Zamicro"?
They are a smaller amd more compact cultivar of the...
tlbean2004
Money tree problems
Hi, I'm having some trouble with my Money Tree. It...
jl108
Worried about my Philodendren, Please help!
Hi there everyone. I loved the help that I got about...
huskymom87
Pine Bark Fines Ontario Canada
Okay...5-1-1 mix! I am having trouble. First off the...
RioSeven
Sponsored Products
Ogee Black Printed Cotton Cushion Cover, Set of Two
$36.95 | Bellacor
Zephyr 36W in. Okeanito Wall Mounted Range Hood - COK-E36BSX
Hayneedle
Rock Your Room 3 in. Mini Plasma Tie Dye Lamp K639439
$6.98 | Home Depot
Blue & White Juliet Vase
The City Farm
Dove Ornaments - Set of 3
| Dot & Bo