African Violets and Goldfish plants

LaneyBugg7(4)October 4, 2013

Hi I have never taken care of any plants before but i started feeling like my apartment really needed some! So i bought 2 african violets and 1 goldfish plant since they are safe for cats :) I do not know anything about plants and the internet always has contradicting advice, so any plant care advice for these plants would be great! One thing I am curious about is that my african violets and goldfish plant came in 4" pots, should i repot them to bigger ones right away or do it wait?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greentoe357

Pop out each plant gently and see if the roots are crowded. Very likely that they will be. If they are, generally repotting is a good idea. Although now that we are going into the winter and plants slow down their growth, it s not the best time to do that, as they may have a hard time recovering. As a compromise, you can put a root-bound plant into a 5' or 6' pot (no bigger) and simply fill the sides with new potting mix. Then in the spring or summer, you can do a full repot, with teasing and pruning the roots.

African violets like special self-watering pots. If you get them into those, they'll be happier.

Good luck with your new plants!

Bookmark   October 4, 2013 at 8:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdsnblooms

Morning,

Laney...There's an AV and Gesneriad forum here on GW.

I agree with Greentoe about holding off repotting.

Actually, AV's prefer being a little root-bound..Tight roots promotes flowers.

AV's need bright light, especially during winter. All but a north window is sufficient.
Especially since you're in MN.

They like humidity..soil needs to dry a little between waterings, otherwise they rot.

I water my violets by adding water in the saucer.. When they're fertilized, it's done via soil.
Saucers are deep..this way water doesn't over-flow.

Hope this helped..Toni

Bookmark   October 5, 2013 at 11:30AM
More Discussions
Worried about my Philodendren, Please help!
Hi there everyone. I loved the help that I got about...
huskymom87
Dying Calathea Plant
Hello all! I have recently started getting interested...
avanns
Fiddle Leaf Ficus brown edges, lighter color veins
I have the Fiddle Leaf Ficus for 2 years now. It was...
vlauz7b
Question on pot-up house Azaleas
I have no problem growing florist Azalea as a houseplant....
jujujojo_gw
Peperomia "Rosso"
I bought this plant recently....does anyone else have...
RioSeven
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™