Should this spider plant be repotted right now?

nephifofum(8a)October 21, 2012

The reason I ask is that it's in a 4" pot and seems to be growing quite well. As you can see, some rather large roots are already coming out of the bottom of the container. Why I hesitate: I'm near Seattle...our sunny days are pretty much over. The plant will have warmth, but very little light. Should I go ahead and repot it? If so, what should I be using for soil? I've mainly used Miracle Gro and not had all that much luck. I did buy some perlite, so I don't know if Miracle Gro potting soil with some perlite mixed in would be a good idea or not.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenlarry(UK 8/9)

Im not sure what miracle gro soil is like, never used it. I have used perlite however, its ok but I prefer vermiculite because when perlite comes to the surface its very lightweight and gets everywhere.
But Im not sure this plant is in dire need of repotting. Unless its showing ill effects above soil Id wait till spring.

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 11:29AM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

I wouldn't be in a big hurry to repot it now, especially if you're pleased with how it's growing. I think potting up to a 6" pot and being attentive to water needs (with an emphasis on not over-watering) is a sound plan, though. Then, when summer comes around, you can get into the roots if you wish. The plant should respond as favorably as light will allow to the potting up, but it certainly wouldn't set if back unless you're heavy-handed on the watering can. ;-)

Spiders like a fast draining soil that doesn't threaten roots by remaining wet for prolonged periods. Where you live, you should have good access to materials like fir bark, Turface, Axis/Play Ball, and others you can use to make a very free-draining soil your plants will really appreciate. You'll even be able to eliminate the perlite, which can add to the amount of fluoride the plant is subjected to and is sensitive to - not a huge plus, but every little bit helps. Good growing is about identifying the factors that limit your plants and acting to eliminate or reduce to the greatest degree possible their effects.

Al

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 1:18PM
greenlarry(UK 8/9)

Al, I never realised that perlite had flouride in it, interesting!

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 3:23PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

It truly is interesting to note the number of useful tidbits you can pick up here at GW just by being here. I learn interesting things, or discover new things I want to look into before I post, every day.

The amount of fluoride in perlite varies by it's source; and for plants sensitive to compounds of fluorine, rinsing perlite well in a strainer or wire colander can help reduce the amount of fluoride that makes it to the plant.

Spider plants prefer low TDS/EC (fertility) levels, which is why soils you can water/flush at will and fertilize frequently at low doses go a long way toward preventing spoiled foliage. Keeping the humidity up is very helpful, but keeping roots working efficiently so they can easily move water to distal parts, leaf tips and margins, is the biggest factor affecting the plant's appearance.

Al

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 3:47PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

I don't know how you don't have brown tips with the roots like that. Yesterday I unpotted one and was shocked by how much the roots had crammed the pot in about 6 mos. I don't use perlite and can't do much about it getting tap water sometimes, and while it's inside for winter. Plenty of sun here in winter, though, I did repot it, in the way I've done these for a LONG time.

Before:

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 6:02PM

During:

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 6:03PM

Ready to go back in its' pot.

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 6:04PM
greenlarry(UK 8/9)

Purple, is that an all green chlorophytum?

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 6:24PM

yes.

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 8:54PM
greenlarry(UK 8/9)

Ive never seen one in the flesh. Theres also a different coloured one, variegated but exotic looking.
Havent had a spider for years! My cats would love one, lol

Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 6:33AM
More Discussions
Peperomia "Rosso"
I bought this plant recently....does anyone else have...
RioSeven
Can i repot a pothos by sticking it in a larger pot and adding soil?
I have some pothos that are in 4 inch pots. I need...
tlbean2004
Mini garden
A long time ago I started working on this mini garden,...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
White bugs in saucer under spider plant
I found a pile of these small white bugs in the saucer...
Caitlin Maraist
Money tree problems
Hi, I'm having some trouble with my Money Tree. It...
jl108
Sponsored Products
Pink Zebra Monogram Plate
$16.99 | zulily
Perfect Balance Wall Shelves - Set of 3
| Dot & Bo
Trilogy Counter Height Pub Stool Multicolor - TRIS-24
$532.99 | Hayneedle
Pink & lime Monogram Bottle Sleeve
$13.99 | zulily
Hand Soap Gift Box - NAVY (BLUE) (OTHER)
$65.00 | Horchow
Multicolored Rug
Grandin Road
Anchorage Etched Glass Pitcher
Classic Hostess
Amba Q 2042 Hardwired Towel Warmer - Q 2042 B
$904.00 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™