Scheffs and Dracaena Del Sol...............

elkay_gwOctober 4, 2012

Ok, back in June or July, I meant to cut these two in half, root the tops and put them back into the same pots with the bottoms, but never did it. I assume I should just wait until next spring to do it, right?

And I still can't find out why this dracaena is growing this way. I got some Foliage-Pro in case it was missing some nutrient, but that hasn't helped. It gets bright, filtered light on my deck and I let it dry between waterings, but not TOO dry. It seems healthy, but looks sickly. Why are the leaves growing all "wavy" and not normal like a regular dracaena fragrans? I've seen pics of DDSs and the leaves are wide and smooth. (???)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

If your scheffs have been in very bright light (they don't look like they have been), their energy reserves should be very high right now, which means they should root quickly, but the big picture that looks beyond their rooting and into overwintering shows that it would be better to wait until next July. Still, scheffs are very forgiving and it won't kill it by a long shot to root some cuttings.

Once the conformity of a leaf has been determined by how the cells are shaped and situated, your cultural changes and ministrations won't change it. If you're looking to determine if your changes were corrective, look to the shape of the newly emerging foliage as the indicator. Some patience will be required as foliage emerges.

Al

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 4:23PM
birdsnblooms

Elkay..When your Dracaena was young, did it have wavy/curly leaves?
There's a new speciemen (3-yrs) called Dracaena Wavy/Curly. I found one at the grocery store of all places, for .25 lower than those sold on Ebay.

If your Dracanea isn't naturally wavy/curly, other than insect deformity, I don't have an answer.

It looks very healthy, not sick at all. Toni

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 5:19PM
elkay_gw

Thanks, Al.

I grew those two from stem cuttings in 2010. They are out on my deck late spring thru early fall, receiving bright light and even afternoon sun - I don't know why they look sp spindly. I guess I'll wait until next year and severly prune them.

Toni, that dracaena was about half that size when I got it, and pretty sure it had the wavy leaves then, too. Never heard of a curly variety. I guess I just have to accept the fact that it's going to stay that way. Not so attractive looking to me.

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 5:35PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Toni's right, of course; and sort of what I alluded to when I mentioned the cellular thing - could very likely be a manifestation of the plant's genetic predisposition.

If you want a really compact/dwarf aboricola with smaller leaves & very short internodes, look for the variety 'Luseanne'.

Al

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 5:50PM
More Discussions
Pachira browning
Hi, all! My Pachira needs help. The trunk is not soft...
deborahsab
April Flowers
Happy April fools! Let's see your flowers! I for once...
MrBlubs
White bugs in saucer under spider plant
I found a pile of these small white bugs in the saucer...
Caitlin Maraist
Desert Rose That Will Not Bloom
I have a desert rose that is roughly 4 or 5 years old....
Tiffany Martin
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Aran Yeo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™