Looking for ID (no pic)

scsva(7/VA)October 4, 2012

It's a star like plant with striped, stiff leaves. I suspect it might be in the bromeliad family (but not even sure of that) There were lots of them in WM this past season. I bought one on a whim and its turning out to be a favorite but I can't remember its name, begins with crys (I think) and I keep thinking it is something like crysanthis (sp). Can someone give me the correct spelling so I can look this up on the net?

Thanks.

Susan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantomaniac08(8)

Cryptanthus. It is indeed from the same family as Bromelaids. It's also known as "Earth Star"

Planto

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 12:21PM
plantomaniac08(8)

Sorry, meant to post a photo of mine in my last post. I also got mine at WM (but on clearance for $1.47). I was a little afraid to buy it as I figured I'd somehow manage to kill it, but so far it's bloomed for me and has produced three pups! I found the cultivar online as 'Chocolate Soldier.' It's a bit more "flush" in this photo as it was about to bloom, but since blooming, it has lightened in color.

Planto

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 12:29PM
scsva(7/VA)

Thank you so much. I originally thought it was a boring looking plant but after I kept seeing it, I bought one. Now I think it is a truly interesting, easy plant.

Thanks again.

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 1:49PM
plantomaniac08(8)

scsva,
You're welcome. I agree with you, it's by far one of the most easy to care for plants I own. I don't care for fickle or difficult to care for plants, they don't stay with me long. ;)

Planto

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 1:52PM
More Discussions
Pothos Problems
My poor pothos is struggling. I've attached a few pictures,...
mwhcrew32
Peace Lily -Black Leaves
This is a repost from 2005! I've reviewed every thread...
sylvan
mini indoor palm tree dilemma help please!
Hey guys, I have a mini palm tree in my bedroom. It...
queenofhearts3
Spider plant vs Mother-in-Law's Tongue: Day vs Night
I know that Spider plant and Mother-in-Law's Tongue...
dert17
Rubber tree plant questions
Hi all, I have a rubber tree plant that I'm trying...
dbforr
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™