Enhanced wire nest with eggs
This is my version of the rebar nest.
First, I made a wire frame from fencing wire. I sanded each piece to get the coating off before I intertwined it. This part was interesting because I had no idea what I was doing. My intention was to have it only be wire but I got tired of the process and the look was not what I wanted. If I was to do this again, I would have different sizes of wire and make it deeper.
Second, I rusted the wire with salt water. Actually, I did a ton of things like peroxide, vinegar, boiling in salt water etc. because I am impatient. I hadn't gotten all of the coating off because of.....impatience. Vinegar made it turn black because it was removing the coating. Anyway, spraying intermittently with salt water seemed to do the trick.
Next, I found twigs in my yard and filled in the gaps of the wire. It could probably use more but I got tired of it and can always do more later.
The eggs are small plastic Easter eggs. I sanded the joint to get an even surface and the rest of it so paint would adhere. Next, I glued it shut. Then I used wood putty to fill in the joint gap, sanded to smooth and painted with acrylic paint. After a few coats, the joint was still cracking a bit. (very, very small line). So on one I used wood putty again and sanded. The other I modpodged with tissue paper to try something else. (I ended up putting wood putty on the tissue paper one anyway because the line still showed) I painted both with many coats of paint and sprayed with sealer. I thought my sealer was satin finish but they turned out glossier than I had wanted.
Anyway! I do like how it turned out and wanted to share. I really don't have a place for it yet and was just playing around when I made them to see if I could do it.
I hope you enjoy and don't mind all the explanation of the process!!