growing carrots that are sweet?

gardeningmomof5November 11, 2007

I grew carrots this year, and the size was good. But they were not very sweet despite claims on the seed packet. Are there any carrots that are much sweeter than others, and is there a growing condition that makes for sweeter carrots? This year I dug out a long trench and filled with a mixture of wood ashes, peat moss, compost, and packaged soil to keep the trench "clot-free". They were all pretty straight and long, but lacked any good flavor (although not bitter).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
franktank232(z5 WI)

Don't they sweeten as the temps drop? My carrots weren't great either, and i grew several different varieties. I did pick them a lot earlier then i usually do.

Bookmark   November 11, 2007 at 9:43PM
marquette

It might be a good idea to let us know which kind you grew, so others ca learn from your experience and give you feedback.

Bookmark   November 12, 2007 at 12:47AM
snappybob(SaTexas Zone 8)

Carrotts will be much sweeter if grown in cooler weather.

Bookmark   November 12, 2007 at 3:28PM
vgkg(Z-7)

I prefer fall carrots (planted in late Aug here) as they are sweeter and lack the "earthly" taste of summer carrots. Fall carrots can also be left in the ground for a longer harvest. "Touchon" variety is the sweetest I have found to date. I planted 5 other varieties this fall for comparison.

Bookmark   November 13, 2007 at 8:28AM
peggy_g(Melbourne,Fl Z9)

I grew Sweet Treat hybrid Fordhook carrot from Burpee and they were excellent. Even found a note in my journal to buy more of this seed. Sweetness II was also good. Too much N can make them taste bitter.

Bookmark   November 13, 2007 at 8:04PM
nygardener(z6 New York)

I grew Nantes and Danvers carrots. They're shorter, blunter varieties that have done well in my clay soil. The ones I planted in September are mature now and are nice and sweet. They were even sweeter when young.

Bookmark   November 18, 2007 at 4:09AM
faithling(z4 VT)

Ripening in cool weather certainly improves the flavor. I've heard that the smaller, early-maturing carrots are better for summer harvests (spring planting). I've gotten decent flavor in summer from Mokum and Kinko. For fall/winter harvest I usually plant larger varieties like Bolero.

I recently read that sightly acidic soils improve the taste of carrots. That might explain why NYgardener had good tasting carrots (even when young) from clay soil. It would also explain why my carrots tasted better when my acidic-soil garden was new, and why after years of adding ash and lime to the garden, the carrot flavor is good but not fabulous. Can anyone else verify whether there is a relationship between acidic soils and carrot flavor?

Bookmark   November 18, 2007 at 9:03AM
vtguitargirl(Z4b VT)

I grew Danvers in raised beds. I think I planted them mid June. I harvested a bunch around Labor Day and they tasted like wood. I left the rest in the ground until we had a few chilly nights and they tasted wonderful!

I'd love to grow an early crop of sweet carrots.

faithling, Where did you get Mokum & Kinko seeds? Here in VT or through a catalog?

Bookmark   February 23, 2008 at 6:16PM
More Discussions
Do eggplants have high yield?
I'm going to grow one. Thinking of growing two. Do...
shijitake
eggplant not germinating
I put in my eggplant seeds on 1/25 and left them on...
NewTXGardener (8a Dallas)
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
gridgardener
Who is gardening right now? Show me pictures
I spent my day in the garden. My turnips and kale made...
katy_bug
Starting a garden in Corpus Christi Texas
I am a beginning gardener and I have gotten some helpful...
mollysmom_2008
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™