Wanted: Purple Passion plant cutting

runswithscissors(MT 4/5)October 27, 2011

Hi. I'm not sure if this is where I should place an ad, but I remember a purple passion from old that my sister had (woodstock, free love era) and I loved it. I can't find it in any nurseries around here in my area. I have a perfect spot to put it in an east window with taller plants to block the direct sunlight. (I will buy....)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zzackey(8b GA)

Is this the fuzzy leaf plant with jagged edges and an orange stinky flower? Can you give me the Latin name or a picture? I have another plant I call purple passion I might be able to get a small cutting off of for you. Maggie

Bookmark   October 27, 2011 at 2:00PM
runswithscissors(MT 4/5)

Thank you, zackey. I had to google it because I wasn't sure what the latin name was. It's a Gynura aurantiaca and yes, the stinky fuzzy one. Since I googled it, I looked a little closer at the search results and found that I can buy one from the home depot website (store here does not carry it) but the postage is just as much as the little pot is! All I need is a cutting in a wet paper towel stuffed into a ziplock, and maybe a small padded envelope and I think I would be able to root it. Is this the purple plant you have?

Bookmark   October 28, 2011 at 5:15PM
zzackey(8b GA)

No, it's not. Sorry. I used to work in a garden center that sold them. Not an easy plant to find. I hope someone responds on here for you!

Bookmark   October 28, 2011 at 5:39PM
luvidaho_2010(5/6)

I found some at Walmart today. 4" pot for $4.00. They were unpacking the boxes today so if you have a store close by, you might take a look. I had to search through all of the Christmas stuff to find the house plants.

Bookmark   October 29, 2011 at 7:25PM
meyermike_1micha(5)

Runs:

I thought I saw some at Lowe's the other day, and when I went back there tonight to get one, they were half dead. I am sorry:-(

Bookmark   October 29, 2011 at 10:32PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Sorry, but it maybe the wrong time of year to find this plant. Am guessing you'd have better luck finding it in the Spring.

Bookmark   October 30, 2011 at 9:23AM
birdsnblooms

Runs, accents for home and garden has them available. They even have a variegated Purple Passion. Toni

Bookmark   October 30, 2011 at 3:02PM
runswithscissors(MT 4/5)

Thank you everyone,

I loved Accents for Homes & Gardens! You taught me about this website Hopeful. They had both kinds of plants for a very good price. Unfortunately I did not order because my order came to $12 and the shipping was $11. It's not the money, it's the principle of the matter. Why is shipping nowadays as much as the product? Especially in this age of on-line buying. Humpf! Makes me mad!

Bookmark   November 5, 2011 at 3:27PM
birdsnblooms

Hi Runs. I agree...shipping has gotten so high the last couple years. Not only at Accents but other nurseries and sellers on Ebay.

It makes me so upset when I order 'one' plant for 4.99, pay 8.00 for shipping, then once the package arrives, check postage to find it's $2 and change.

I guess some sellers feel they have to get the boxes, paper/stuffing, wrapping, go to the PO, etc.. It should be S&H.

Some sellers charge more than Accents, a few the actual price.
Problem is, when one wants 'X' plant, they'll pay the extra cost, especially hard to locate plants.

Purple Passion/Gynura is fairly common. They're sold at HD, grocery stores, and Walmart.
If you can find one locally..

I noticed Accents has a variegated PP. See, if I really wanted this plant, 'which I wouldn't mind having,', lol, I'd pay the shipping.
Also, Accents plants are so well wrapped, healthy, pest free, and good size.

But, keep looking around your area. If I had a PP I'd send you a cutting, but unfortunately, I don't. Sorry. Toni

Bookmark   November 5, 2011 at 3:43PM
More Discussions
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Aran Yeo
Why does my anthirium want to commit suicide?
This is my anthirium and it is slowly dying? Judging...
sturmzie
Is my pothos dying?
I bought a beautiful verigated pothos a few weeks ago...
Avantika
White bugs in saucer under spider plant
I found a pile of these small white bugs in the saucer...
Caitlin Maraist
Desert Rose That Will Not Bloom
I have a desert rose that is roughly 4 or 5 years old....
Tiffany Martin
Sponsored Products
Laetitia Frame 8" x 10"
$1,100.00 | Horchow
American Rug Craftsmen Cascade Clawson Brown Runner Rug
$82.99 | LuxeDecor
Green Ceramic Decorative Jar
$39.99 | zulily
La Crystal Light Fixture
$550.00 | Horchow
12" Tru-Slim Battery Operated LED Oil Rubbed Bronze Art Light
$163.00 | Cocoweb