Staking a concrete flower

loribee2(CA 9)May 22, 2011

I'd put this question on the Landscaping forum when someone mentioned Garden Junk might be able to help. DUH! Of course!

I've made this concrete flower that I intend to mosaic and place in my garden:

The original idea was that I would simply stake it into the ground like any other garden ornament. However, the flower ended up much heavier than I expected and will only get more top-heavy when I add the mosaic surface treatment. I don't think it will be stable enough to just stick in the ground as-is, considering I want the finished flower to stand 3-4' from the ground.

Now I'm thinking about sliding the rebar stem into PVC or copper tubing instead. Using a scrap piece of 3/4" pvc as my guide, it seems it will work well and I actually think the thickness of the tubing will look better aesthetically anyway. I might add some leaves, etc.

Here's my question: How can I secure the tubing to the ground without making a big ordeal out of it (i.e. setting it into a concrete footing)? I would like to be able to move them without a ton of effort.

Another idea I had was to make a circle of about 3 pieces of rebar that I stake into the ground real good, slide this one in the center then wire them all together.

Attach to a wood stake?

Ugh! I've got no idea which way to go. If anyone has ideas or suggestions, I would sure appreciate them! I was hoping to make a bunch of these to line along a wall which is why I'm looking for an easy solution.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texaswild

Hey, lady. As I said on the mosaic side, a heavy-duty rebar should be sufficient. I went to a company that sells large rebar for building highways, and bought no. 6 rebar for my fountain surround extension. A wooden stake won't last long. The pvc works too, but is more expensive than the rebar. However, you could paint the pvc - hmmmmmmmmm - maybe even attach some leaves. Oh, good grief. Don't get me started. I have too many other things in line, so can't go chasing ideas on flowers. I LOVE your flower, and can see them hanging out in flower beds all over - along w/those wonderful butterflies you made.

Bookmark   May 22, 2011 at 6:29PM
loribee2(CA 9)

Oh, thanks! Funny how I forget that I've got the perfect person to ask sitting right in front of me, LOL.

Then I think what I'll do is get some heavier rebar, pound that into the ground so I've got a few feet sticking out, then use a heavy gauge wire to attach the flowers to that. That way, I don't have to have such a long piece of rebar attached to my flowers (that has been a pain). And like you're thinking, I could extend that wire up to make leaves.....maybe spray paint the rebar green.....

Bookmark   May 22, 2011 at 7:43PM
luna_llena_feliz

Love your idea of the mosaicked flower. I would think the heavier rebar would suffice. You will have to post a picture of it for us when it is completed!

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 1:49AM
concretenprimroses(4B NH)

Its going to be awesome! If you decide you want something thicker: Metal electrical conduit is cheap, and you can pound it into the ground over a piece of rebar.

I also use the plastic conduit for plant labels because it comes in grey.

Good luck and be sure to post pics.

Kathy

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 6:00AM
loribee2(CA 9)

Thanks for the ideas! I will definitely post pics when it's done.

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 9:17AM
oldcrafty(8)

No suggestions for staking.....looks like you will have an amazing flower when complete. Good luck and post finished pics

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 2:27PM
lindasewandsew(So Cal 9)

What a great looking flower. A galvanized, copper or aluminum pipe should work. Pound it into the ground at least a foot, then just drop the 'stem' into it. You can cut the top of the pipe at a slant to fit nicely, or leave a hole for the pipe to go into the bottom of the flower a little when you do the mosaic. That will make it look like the pipe is attached. Linda

Bookmark   May 24, 2011 at 1:48AM
loribee2(CA 9)

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the suggestions!

Bookmark   May 24, 2011 at 8:57AM
nonacook(8bFL)

Love the flower!!
Be sure to show us later!

Bookmark   May 24, 2011 at 9:29AM
joannpalmyra

I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished product. :)

Bookmark   May 24, 2011 at 10:12PM
sorie6(6b ok.)

Great looking flower. I can't wait to see the finished project!

Bookmark   May 24, 2011 at 10:57PM
More Discussions
Looking for fellow aussies - I've got glass to get rid of!
Hi Folk I started on the exciting journey of glass...
aussie_mum
bowling ball revisited
Just finished a couple of bowling balls for the garden;...
indigosunshine
Recycling old purses in the garden!
I would have never thought of this myself! I sure wish...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Need to repurpose a leaking birdbath
Yesterday was one of the nicest days in ages; I could...
patty2430
Acrylic vs. outdoor acrylic
Evening all, I am the school gardening mom for my son's...
uptomyeyeballs
Sponsored Products
Bold Flowers Black 18-Inch Square Pillow
$43.99 | Bellacor
Brass Hat Low Voltage Landscape Light
Lamps Plus
Area Rug: Caprice Collection Steel 2' x 3'
$58.97 | Home Depot
Laurel Border Outdoor Area Rug
Grandin Road
Red Bamboo Circular Vase with Dried Florals (Stand Not Included)
Overstock.com
Lotus Flower Towel Bar
Signature Hardware
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™