plate flowers

lily603(6)May 29, 2014

may 2014..using gorilla epoxy, glue glass to glass, used marine epoxy for copper to metal washer. the later worked just fine, but the washer to the glass did not. plate fell off. I checked and glue was soft. now using acetone to try and clean it up. what did I do wrong? I've read many hints and there are so many ideas on what glue to use. getting discouraged. all those pretty pictures and none of them mine.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
threedogsmom

I used E6000 to glue the metal threaded 1" hex nut to the glass plate back In a vertical position. I let it dry 24 hours before threading the rebar into the hex nut and placing the completed flower in the landscape. I also used the same E6000 to glue the various glass pieces together. Has held up well so far!

Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 6:57PM
laurastheme(8)

E6000 is one of the best glues around, but I've read that it isn't UV resistant so I've stuck with silicone II for windows and doors. Works for me for the last 3 years.

Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 10:31PM
flowers12

I found UV6800 that works the same as E6000 but doesn't discolor in the sun, made by the same company. It's hard to find though. The first time I bought it I got it online from AFTOSA at $5.99 a tube. I finally found it at an ACE Hardware store too but it was $7.99. I also researched how long it stays good in the tube and should be used in 2 years so check the date on the bottom of the tube. I've used it after the 2 years and it seems to be holding up just find. I first made plate flowers and totems 5 years ago with E6000 and they are still holding together but of course the glue has discolored.

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 12:52PM
laurastheme(8)

Today I used E6000 for the first time in a long time. They fumes nearly did me in even with the window open.

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 9:36PM
nonacook(8bFL)

The first BB I made was with GE clear silicone II, for windows and doors, about 15 years ago. It has been through hurricanes, hail storms and all kinds of hot and cold weather (ice storm this past winter) and it is just now beginning to 'lose its marbles' I also have totems that have been out for about that long. I made those before they were called 'totems' LOL
I believe in this type of silicone.

Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 6:37PM
More Discussions
Recycling old purses in the garden!
I would have never thought of this myself! I sure wish...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Re purposing A Window
Hi, I just got all new windows for my house, and don't...
gabby811 6 NJ
Hi all
I couldn't edit the subject...sorry ... I was thinking...
msjay2u
Need to repurpose a leaking birdbath
Yesterday was one of the nicest days in ages; I could...
patty2430
Dehydrator trays
Does anyone have ideas for recycling food dehydrator...
hokypuk
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™