What is Shoepeg corn?

donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)November 16, 2009

I have a favorite recipe that calls for this. I can use plain sweet corn, but it changes the taste of the soup. Grocery stores have reduced so much inventory this past year that I can no longer find shoepeg. Today, I spotted a bag of frozen white corn that looks just like the shoepeg I used to buy. Is it the same thing? Anyone grow this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdilla

Shoepeg is an old name for the open pollinated white sweet corn, today sold mostly as Country Gentleman. It is still used commercially for creamed corn.

Bookmark   November 16, 2009 at 8:34PM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

Thanks so much, farmerdilla! You are just a wealth of information on this forum. In what part of the country do you live? I am curious about your pea pictures on another thread. Did you plant these in the fall?

Bookmark   November 16, 2009 at 8:52PM
farmerdilla

Hill billy from Virginia, been here in Georgia for the past 15 years. Peas (Vigna unguiculata) I plant from late April til early July. English peas (late November - early December)and mid winter ( February).

Bookmark   November 16, 2009 at 9:04PM
pnbrown

I think the dent(field) variety Pencil Cob was also sometimes called shoe-peg. It certainly has that shape of kernel.

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 7:25AM
denninmi(8a)

Not that I buy any canned veggies to speak of, but I was at a Kroger store the other day, and a can of Freshlike brand White Shoepeg corn caught my eye. I know Freshlike is Dean Foods, based I believe in Wisconsin, so I don't know if it's available in all areas of the country.

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 10:41AM
RuthieG__TX(z8 TX)

I always thought that it was because of it's distinctive shape.

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 2:03PM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

farmerdilla, I am a hillbilly too! I graduated from High School in Kingsport, Tennessee, which sprawls over into southwest Virginia. Thanks for your response, I do believe I will try some sugarsnaps next fall (early spring too).

Bookmark   November 18, 2009 at 5:18PM
farmerdilla

donna. I know the area fairly well, used to stay in Kingsport, when I worked Gate City. loved to drive up route 23, and then head over the mountain to Jonesville on 58. always tried to spend a couple of hours at the Natural Tunnel. You might want to use the snap peas for spring rather than late fall. I only use the smooth seeded cultivars for late fall. Folks in Southwest Virginia, grew antique varieties long after they had lost favor in most of the country. I bet there are still quite a few folks growing Shoepeg/Country Gentleman. Howling Mob is in the same category, but I never knew anyone who grew it. At some of the craft shows, you might even find a cobbler who uses shoe pegs.

Bookmark   November 18, 2009 at 6:02PM
ronnywil(7a)

It is my understanding that it is called shoepeg because the kernels don't line up in rows like standard corn.

Bookmark   November 18, 2009 at 7:45PM
mcleod(8a)

It's called shoe peg because at one time pegs were used in the construction of shoes. These pegs were used in the sole of the shoe. Shoepeg corn gets it's name from the resemblence of the individual kernels to shoepegs.

Bookmark   November 19, 2009 at 4:20PM
More Discussions
Do eggplants have high yield?
I'm going to grow one. Thinking of growing two. Do...
shijitake
Melon transplants or direct seed?
I've read and heard conflicting info on this... what...
formerly_creativeguy
soil-less medium
I have been reading past posts on what medium to plant...
sma_gal
Cucumber leaves turning white
Hi, I am totally new to having any sort of garden and...
wanderess
which tomato seeds to get?
Live in zone 9b (about 60 miles North of Galveston...
new-beginning
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™