old wood frame windows?

aka_strawberrygoat(PNW-8)May 29, 2010

when any of you find an old wooden framed window, what's the common price of such a window?

I'm curious..cuz they seem to go for around $10 at garage sales. sometimes $15 but seem to hover around that much.

I'm talking a regular size one, about maybe 3' square or so.

at our Habitat for Humanity Restore, I've been seeing them in the $3 range.

I've gotten 4 of them in the past month but only put them in my storage unit, cuz I'm not geared for that size of a project yet.

besides, storage keeps them dry and away from breaking, till the magical day I happen to pull one of them out.

just curious........

I have no clue if one day they could become the greenhouse I so much long for, or a divider between the kitchen and front room, or hang from the fascia boards, along the front of the house, in front of the window...still don't know.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Calamity_J(z7bc)

Our habitat store was selling them...or maybe not..for $30!!! Now they are $10, so I think somebody told them "not a chance!!!" I am gonna gear up to "collect" some too, but am looking on usednanaimo,kijijinanaimo,craigslistnanaimo and the recycle store as the restore here is waaaay too much! BUT I have to STOP my "collecting cuz yesterday I scored the motherloade of free stuff from the guy I bought a birdbath from(he is moving and had a junk pile) and I hauled home a whole trailer load and have to go back for another load!!! PLUS the wood I mentioned in another post...so have to utilize this stuff before the windows can be sneaked in!!!lol! If I could just get this stuff finished so Hubby can see that I DO have a method to my madness!!!heh heh!

Bookmark   May 29, 2010 at 7:36PM
rafor

I get them free on craigslist all the time. Even big ones. I also got 32 of them for $32 on CL and she threw in a great set of tall skinny old french doors! They are going to be the focal point of my glasshouse!

Bookmark   May 29, 2010 at 7:58PM
concretenprimroses(4B NH)

Becky, I want windows too, but I'm resisting until I do about 327 other projects. Craigs list is a great idea, rafor! You've gotta post pics of your greenhouse. Calamity, lucky you have so much creative energy.
This next week is gardening gardening gardening for me.
Kathy

Bookmark   May 29, 2010 at 8:28PM
STROBE(zn 7b)

Hint: Try local window replacement companies. I work at one and the guys bring back the old windows and just throw them in the dumpster. We have LOTS of people coming by to get them for projects.

:)

Bookmark   June 11, 2011 at 2:18PM
chelcass(Z5 Michigan, U.P.)

I also get my windows for free. www.freecycle.com. I must have at least 50 window stored everywhere. Three of them I did GOG and they are hanging on the garage wall. I am currently working on a 4th GOG.

Bookmark   June 11, 2011 at 4:41PM
PKponder TX(7b)

You could use them this winter for the top of a cold frame. What a find! We got our neighbor's glass storm doors when he remodeled and hubby built a really large cold frame for my seedlings. I used to use wooden frames with old windows over the top.

Pam

Bookmark   June 12, 2011 at 11:14AM
luna_llena_feliz

I don't feel so bad now. Our Restore sells them for $30+. I thought that was outrageous. Even area rummage sales want to much for them. I think your best bet is Craigslist or Freecycle.

Bookmark   June 12, 2011 at 5:35PM
More Discussions
Recycling old purses in the garden!
I would have never thought of this myself! I sure wish...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Christmas Bottle Tree
I finally got around to making a Christmas bottle tree...
lindasewandsew
Hanging Garden Globes
Here's one of my favorite garden junk projects ever:...
janetgia
Changing Landscape part TWO
The time has come. A new idea is a must come spring....
arcy_gw
Anybody on here from say 10 years ago?
looking for someone because I lost touch with them...
gardnpondr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™