Geraniums in a Galvanized Mop Bucket

luvs2clickMay 1, 2012

I fell in love with these ginormous geranium hanging baskets today at the greenhouse. I replanted it in an old mop bucket. It will be nice to be able to wheel it into the garage when a freeze is predicted (like every other night). I discovered this trick for a few years ago for an instant beautiful planter. The greenhouse near me has these hanging baskets for $10 and they contain about 5 plants that are full grown and beautiful. It is cheaper to buy one of these than to buy 5 separate plants (that aren't quite so big and beautiful). Since hanging baskets don't work for me (too windy and hot here) I always replant them into a large planter for instant pizazz. With added dirt and a larger container they don't dry out so fast like they do in those little baskets.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cnm1(6 Oh)

What a great container!!I buy hanging plants to divide too - many times a great deal.

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 9:26PM
JeanInWa(5)

I love red geraniums. That is gorgeous! I have learned that for hot and windy, line your planters with bubblewrap before adding the soil. Helps insulate them.

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 9:36PM
kathi_mdgd

What a nice combination,and i love those trailing geraniums.I'll have to get me a red one,i only have pinks and whites.
Kathi

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 9:51PM
jeannespines

Oh now, that is beautiful! Love the red with the galvanized! Great idea! & I understand what you are saying with 'frost' nights & wind ...same here. This is a great idea ...I'll have to be on the outlook now for an old mop bucket! TFS, luvs! Jeanne S.

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 10:54PM
rafor

That is gorgeous!!!!

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 6:43AM
marylee_2010

Absolutely beautiful! Great idea.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 8:29AM
Calamity_J(z7bc)

P.O.P-O-Color!!!!Eye catching!

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 9:19AM
oldcrafty(8)

Love that look and you really got some nice geraniums. A local lumber store had gorgeous hanging baskets last month for $3.99. Talk about stocking up....thought DH was gonna take my car keys away so i'd quit going back. And that is what I did, repotted to my pots.
Jeaninwa, thanks for the bubble-wrap tip. I've never heard that one but certainly will try it. Last year I saw a post giving directions on how to put bubble wrap on your windows to help insulate your house. Never tried it.....but there was days last summer when the heat was so bad I considered trying it!

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 10:54AM
Marlene Kindred

BEAUTIFUL!!! What a great container and I love the wheels to help move it! And what a great price....I'd definitely have jumped on that as well. Thanks for sharing with us Luvs.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 10:57AM
luvs2click

Thanks all - I just keep staring out the window at it! Jeanne - I found the mop bucket for $2 at a thrift store!

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 11:09AM
nanatricia

Love it!!!

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 9:03PM
jeannespines

Great find! & I love galvanized...maybe I'll get that lucky, luvs! I added my one 'hot pink' Geranium & Diamond Frost & Pink Gaura & Purple Salvia to a round/rope handled galvanized pot in pool garden...I'll share a pic when it gets established a little...but you inspired me to use that Geranium in there! Jeanne S.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 11:48PM
nonacook(8bFL)

Your geraniums look great in the mop bucket.
I think I have one 'somewhere'-will have to look.
I just put an orange one in my cast-iron bathtub
with some orange impatiens, and purple Mexican
petunias. I know the M Ps will go crazy and I
will probably have to pull a bunch out soon, but
though I would try that anyway.
I have not used bubble wrap, but have found that
if I line ALL pots with holes with Plastic, up
about 2 inches from the bottom in the pots, that
I don't have to water as often.
No, it doesn't make the roots rot. Any excess
water will go over the top of the plastic.

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 1:01AM
sunnyca_gw

Love the red with the galvanized pail. I have 1 sitting on my patio, never thought of planting it. The tip on bubble wrap sounds great too. Think I will try it on back bedroom window too, DD's room(craft room now) gets so hot in summer in afternoon. Thanks for all the ideas! Jan

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 1:15AM
luvs2click

I have also used disposable diapers in the bottom of pots, especially baskets, to help hold the water. The silicon in them retains the water.

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 7:28AM
cnm1(6 Oh)

Great!! Of course now I have been searching Craigslist for a cheap mop bucket!! I will wait for a TS or tree lawn find - I will I will I will!!!! Really

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 3:47PM
More Discussions
Changing Landscape part TWO
The time has come. A new idea is a must come spring....
arcy_gw
My Summer Project - Potting Shed Makeover
We had a cute little shed used for storage of our mower,...
luvs2click
Working with crushed gemstones
Maybe this is a question to a wrong forum, but I see...
briergardener_gw
Hanging Garden Globes
Here's one of my favorite garden junk projects ever:...
janetgia
Recycling old purses in the garden!
I would have never thought of this myself! I sure wish...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™