Help! My Yucca plant is croaking!

organic_amosOctober 28, 2010

I'm really stumped as to why several of the stalks on my Yucca Elephantipes plant is dying off. You can't see much of this in the pictures below, but these stalks are turning yellow, drying up, and feel soft. I kept checking the water with a hydrometer, and for weeks it would register FULL CAPACITY, at the bottom of the pot. This plant always did well, this is only in the last few weeks. I took the plant out of the pot to check the roots sand soil. (see pics). Soil at top is indeed dry, but at bottom, it does seem moist. Roots are not growing out of the pot (its the original pot the plant was purchased in, but my theory was not enough drainage holes). I could not find any traces of bugs/infestation. The plastic pot its in has always been in a larger ceramic pot, with space underneath so the inner pot is not immersed in water. The plant is situated maybe 10 feet from a window (in a stairwell), but it (and other) plants have *always* done well in this location. Aug./Sept. weather was pretty mild.

So I have no idea what's happening or how to stop it. I cut off the bad stalks/leaves, but how to keep this from getting worse? Thanks for any advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrmothernature

Yuccas are not good low light plants, although some retailers will try to sell them as such. Ten feet from a window is low light and that is the primary problem. Inadequate light causes a plant to slowly starve so symptoms often take a long time to appear. The plant gradually sacrifices older leaves so it can continue to support new growth.

Better light is the only answer for you and it will take quite some time for it to stop shedding older leaves and gradually recover.

Will Creed
mrmothernature@gmail.com

Bookmark   October 29, 2010 at 7:25PM
bornigeri

I feel mine is taking a fall as well. It hadn't grown much, the leaves have curled and a few fell off. There is also new growth coming through the soil. Why is that?

Bookmark   October 29, 2014 at 1:18PM
MsGreenFinger GW(8 Ireland)

It is sitting in water!
It is going to rot. Take it out from the pot asap and let the soil dry out. Yuccas like being on the dry side.
Hopefully it's not too late, check the roots for rot anyway.

Bookmark   October 29, 2014 at 3:37PM
More Discussions
Please help? Need to Id these plants
i received these plants in a funeral arrangement and...
sparga83
Fiddle Leaf Fig & Baby Jade help...
I've had this fiddle leaf fig for about a year. Why...
sjhermann
Zebra cactus update - still not looking great?
Ok, so I first posted at the end of January about my...
niknac
A lighter gritty mix and a 5-1-1 question
Hey, So I love gritty mix and only have a few plants...
hottomato99
Money tree problems
Hi, I'm having some trouble with my Money Tree. It...
jl108
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™