repotting money trees

haeclarkOctober 16, 2006

I just bought a money tree last week. I hear they like to be root bound...so how do I tell when to repot it without it getting sick?

Is this soil good to use for it: 1-part sterilized soil, 1-part peat moss, bark, or leaf mold, and 1-part coarse sand or perlite. Or is there a diff kind of soil that would be better?

Okay, I know that when watering it, I need to saok it until water start to come out at the bottum, then I let it dry out. But how deep should it dry out in the soil before re-watering? Compleatly? Acouple inches? I heard about a chopstick meathod where you re-water when the stick becomes dry...but it was unclear as to wheither the stick should stay in during re0watering or if it had to be taken out and soaked.

Dose it need or like fertilizer...and if so, how oftin should I give it to the plant?

The tree I have now is approx. 8" tall (4" brown trunk and 4" green trunk and branch, not counting the leaves them-selves), and is still in the 4" panterra pot (seems more like 3" or 3.5" at the base though) I bought it in. Is it time for a repot? If so how much larger should I go...just an inch or two?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdsnblooms

Clark, it's true Money trees, (Pachira) likes to dry between waterings. I let mine dry out completely..They also like being potbound..Because of the seasons, I wouldn't repot until next spring. They slow down/go dormant in winter. That also means no feeding..You can put them on fertilizer next spring when you see new growth sprouting.
It took several trees before I learned the secret of growing Money trees..I too would repot and before I knew it, the tree died..My Money Tree is in a 3" clay pot. I use well-draining soil of black soil, sand and perlite. In winter it gets very little water..I water well, but really let it dry out like I would a cactus. In fact, soil hardens. Since I've been growing my money tree like a cactus, it's doing fine. They are slow-growing trees..I like the look of a thick trunk, but to aquire this they need to be cared for like one would a succulent. Toni

Bookmark   October 16, 2006 at 7:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
haeclark

Thanks Tony for all the help/info about the Pachira, ponytail palm, and Dracaena marginata.

Bookmark   October 16, 2006 at 7:52PM
More Discussions
help me identify this plant
It's indoor, never flowers, has kind of waxy, viney...
princessasamuela
Planting Zones
I need to know the Zone for Toronto, Ontario, Canada....
bobv2
Fern leaves browning and curling - any idea why?
I have this fern in my bathroom, right by a frosted...
yayanz9
Unknown house plant
I bought this Exotic Angel plant at Home Depot and...
bouldergrower
Christmas cactus help needed please!!
I inherited this plant from my uncle, he had it forever....
Stef Cunningham
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™