Barrel Cactus (New to Cacti)

evan_hsiOctober 25, 2010

Hello, early last week I purchased a small barrel cactus. I do not know the exact type of cactus. I am fairly new to gardening. After bringing the cactus home, I noticed that it had a small decay near the base. Not sure what caused it, or what it is. Any help of Identification of the cactus and problem will be appreciated :) Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaktuskris(5)

You have a Parodia magnifica, complete with fake flowers attached. I would remove the 'flowers' right away, very carefully. The clay pot is too big for the plant, and the soil mix is too organic, supporting water retention, which can lead to rot. If you jump over to the Cacti and Succulent forum, you will learn much more about care of a cactus such as yours.

Christopher

Bookmark   October 25, 2010 at 5:57PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

I'm sorry to say that Chris is right about the fake flowers, I was about to post the same message.

I don't know its ID, but I too was going to suggest going to the Cactus & Succulent forum next door as it were (see top of this front page).

Unfortunately, a few cactus vendors do this w/ the glued on fake flowers at the expensive of newbies who won't know the difference. Around these parts we even have a name for this, some of us call them 'gluefers'. So sorry.

Bookmark   October 25, 2010 at 6:05PM
More Discussions
Fiddle Leaf Fig & Baby Jade help...
I've had this fiddle leaf fig for about a year. Why...
sjhermann
Options to water the plant while away from office .
Dear All Would like to know your opinions on any options...
lukein123
Can i repot a pothos by sticking it in a larger pot and adding soil?
I have some pothos that are in 4 inch pots. I need...
tlbean2004
Money tree problems
Hi, I'm having some trouble with my Money Tree. It...
jl108
I believe this is a corn plant... it's blooming and very frangrant!
I recently acquired this house plant from someone that...
kinziestarr
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™