plant swap, what about Europe?

greenlarry(UK 8/9)October 15, 2012

I find it annoying that the Exchanges section is only available to those in the US! What about us guys outside of US with plants to swap?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

It's cost prohibitive (when legal) to send plants (or any package) across country lines. I'm sure that's the reason the exchange is limited to US, along with the amount of time plants would spend in a box. Probably not worth it for that reason even if there wasn't a legal hurdle to cross.

I bet a UK swap would be a big hit since there are a lot of forum readers from there. Nothing stopping you from getting it going. I've arranged/hosted a couple, would be happy to give you some tips.

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 3:15PM
greenlarry(UK 8/9)

Well it wouldn't cost that much to send as it would from america to england. Mind you I have received plants from Turkey and even Australia!
By the way, does anyone know of a lady from Turkey on here? Shes who I got my big Aloe from way back when...

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 3:20PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

No doubt. Does it actually prevent you from posting? I don't think anyone would mind if you did and just made it clear you're in UK.

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 3:34PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

greenlarry - there is a UK GW forum but it's pretty dead. I just Googled 'UK plant swap' and got a lot of hits. There's one at the link just as an example. I know nothing about it so can't say if it's any good.

GW is basically a US outfit so I'm not surprised there's isn't a UK exchange. The red tape and cost involved in shipping across international boundaries makes it difficult. But these things are not just there to annoy us. There is a history of disasters caused by shipping plant material between countries. Dutch Elm disease? Lily Beetle? Sudden oak death? Ash die back? And on and on. All caused by infected plant material being imported.

When I flew into Boston they confiscated an apple I was intending to eat on the airport bus. Too dangerous!

Here is a link that might be useful: UK plant swap

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 5:34PM
greenlarry(UK 8/9)

Hey thanks for that link flora, Ill definitely give that a go! Its kind of like bookmooch.com but for plants!

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 5:51PM
More Discussions
Droopy Pachira aquatica in 3:1:1
Hi, Last year I planted our 7 year old pachira aquatica...
true_blue (MTL CAN Z4)
Peace Lily
i want to try and grow peace lily plant from seed,...
lulu627
mini indoor palm tree dilemma help please!
Hey guys, I have a mini palm tree in my bedroom. It...
queenofhearts3
My Calathea is blooming - hehe
Flowers look pretty good!
jujujojo_gw
Peace Lily -Black Leaves
This is a repost from 2005! I've reviewed every thread...
sylvan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™