Crazy Lipstick Plant! Anyone know what it's doing?

kfeer(5 high desert Oregon)October 1, 2012

I have had this lipstick plant for years - moved it from Northern VA to central OR and it continues to produce masses of flowers several times a year. It's really long - I've never pruned it, but was planning on it this year just to get some new growth. It just finished flowering a few weeks ago, and now, for the FIRST time EVER, it's doing something strange - from the base of the green cup that the flower comes from, it has a tendril about the same size as the vine coming out!! No leaves on it, about 8 inches long, coming out from the flower base!! Doing this on 4-5 different vines! Any ideas? I don't want to prune those vines back until I have a better idea what's going on!!!

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenlarry(UK 8/9)

Sounds like an aerial root, I believe the plant is an epiphyte, so its quite normal.

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 6:54PM
snappyguy

Can you post a picture? Aeschynanthus are epiphytic so it's likely a root. In humid climates they develop more readily. When you say "base of the flower" I think you're talking about where the inflorescence diverges from the vine. In that case it's very likely to be a root. All of my aeschynanthus have small nubs in a similar area that are the start of roots.

Mark

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 10:35PM
tropicbreezent

This prompted me to look at mine. It's not doing the same, but boy, does it need repotting! I just haven't even looked at it for the past year at least.

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 11:32PM
carol222

When you cut it back you can stick the cutting in the soil and they will grow so you will have a larger plant. Or you can root them in their own pot and share the wealth.
Carol

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 7:41PM
More Discussions
Dying Yukka Plant! Help!
Hi everyone, I have a yukka tree that is about 9 years...
fortunespace
Jasmine plant in suspended animation
Hi all, Hubby bought me a little jasmine plant for...
vamtngranny
help my Imperial Green Philodendron
Hello dears , I've a very beautiful and large Philodendron...
sara03
Pilea Moonvalley - ID & Care
Just bought this plant. I'd appreciate ID confirmation...
bobv2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™