Asparagus fern and spider plant WEEDS

Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)October 13, 2012

I keep saying how these are weeds here and finally remembered to take some pics at my Mom's house.

Asparagus fern sprouts:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

spider plant:

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 3:35PM
birdsnblooms

Purple..Amazing!!!

I could see how AF may be hardy, but Spiders?

Bet Spider runners root like crazy..Some pups look white. Is that the camera or natural color?

During the coldest months of the year, do AF and Spiders die back or stay green?

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 3:41PM

The whiteness is just glare from the sun, they're all plain green. Both plants get knocked down by winter. That's what it looked like yesterday. I'll try to remember to take a pic when they bloom in the spring, if Mom hasn't let me dig them out yet. The patch is going to be out of control if we (I) don't get it out soon.

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 3:58PM
tropicbreezent

"Asparagus Fern" (sometimes called Foxtail Fern) isn't a fern, but it is closely related to asparagus and is a flowering plant. It grows from tubers/thickened roots, and it is an invasive. Most often by people dumping unwanted plants. If you leave any part of the small tubers in the ground they will grow into new plants. So it can be very difficult to eradicate. It will also spread from seeds, and these can be carried by birds.

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 8:24PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

That's Asparagus densiflorus 'Sprengeri '. It is not referred to as Foxtail Fern, at least in this country. Sprengeri is a pretty common escaped weedy houseplant in climates that are warm.

It's the same with the Chloropytum. Spider plants should never have been introduced into the landscape.

Foxtail fern is another A. densiflorus cultivar.....'Meyersii '. It truly looks like a foxtail (the animal), thus the common name.

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 9:33PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Here's the Google Images results for 'foxtail fern'.

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 12:00AM
birdsnblooms

Morning,

Rhizo, no Google pics. :)

Here's my Foxtail..sorry, pic was taken last year, but it's sill around.

Ming Fern

Plumosis Fern..though I cut it down

S. Asparagus Fern, sold as variegated

The Ming and Foxtail have grown a lot..don't know where they'll go this winter..

They love cool temps. Flower and berry in autumn. Flowers drop once indoors, but berries remain until red, and can last for months.

Trying to decide if I should cut them back, 'if possible,' to bring indoors..I hate tossing remains though. Toni

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 10:10AM

Thanks for the clarification on the proper names for the "fern." I don't like this plant well enough to investigate. I'm hoping my Mom recognizes that one for the weed it is soon too. Didn't know there was a variegated version. Interesting, Toni.

I put some more pics from my Mom's front yard on the conversation side. She's also got a huge infestation of variegated Vinca which she's quite attached to. The rest of it is mostly decent plants except for some trashy shrubs that were there when they moved in.

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 8:38PM
More Discussions
Zebra cactus update - still not looking great?
Ok, so I first posted at the end of January about my...
niknac
Do you like Cineraria with larger flowers?
I love spring Cineraria. I love this too -
jujujojo_gw
mini indoor palm tree dilemma help please!
Hey guys, I have a mini palm tree in my bedroom. It...
queenofhearts3
umbrella plant care
I recently bought an indoor umbrella plant just like...
desdurso
Spider plant vs Mother-in-Law's Tongue: Day vs Night
I know that Spider plant and Mother-in-Law's Tongue...
dert17
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™