Mounting excitement!

greenlarry(UK 8/9)October 11, 2012

My xmas cactus suddenly woke up and put out a bumper crop of flower buds. Almost every 'branch' carries a bud, some 2 to a bud!

So I cant move it now!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenlarry(UK 8/9)

And heres the whole plant.
I must start giving them names...

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 3:42PM
Polly381(5/6)

Nice, mine are small. I dont have much luck with them. Please post a picture when it is blooming. I would love to see it.

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 5:33PM
greenlarry(UK 8/9)

You can guarantee I will do! I love sharing pics of my plants. I do have photos of it in bloom from previous years...

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 6:11PM
meyermike_1micha(5)

Just like you Greenlarry, I love showing off my CC's!

I have several putting out buds as we speak and I can't wait to see them flowers.
I got many that had no label, so the colors will take me by surprise. I have some that bloom yellow too.

I can't wait to see yours. Don't you just love it when there is more than one bud per stem?

Mike

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 6:39PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

(Larry , please don't give them human names!) It would be called a Thanksgiving cactus over here as it can be depended upon to bloom in November/December. Christmas cactus have rounded phylloclades (stem segments) while the Thanksgiving variety have those pointed segments....almost like a crab.

Yours is right on time!

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 7:59PM
greenlarry(UK 8/9)

I thought the ones with rounded phylloclades were Easter Cactus!

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 4:09AM

The Easter cactus has rounded segments, as well. But, they are very easy to identify by the very obvious bristles or hairs located in between the segments.

Purple, if you're following this, would you mind posting a picture of your Easter cactus? It's a good example.

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 4:57AM
ninecrow(England)

Noticed One on Mine as Well, I'm/Hope Sure There are More I Just Haven't Seen Them Yet....

Very Nice Thanks for Sharing

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 5:03AM

Larry I forgot to tell you to keep us posted with pictures! I, for one, never get tired at looking at these beautiful plants, especially as they begin to bud. Your plant looks wonderfully healthy.

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 5:05AM
greenlarry(UK 8/9)

Thanks Rhizo!

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 9:09AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

I try to follow most threads but having a hard time this week. Think I'm buying a new computer today. The available selection will be the deciding factor. This one's got something serious wrong with it and I'd rather buy a new one than give that jerk at the computer store much less money to fix this one. So there! Take THAT!

And I almost cut one of my fav toes off Wed, it's definitely in my top 10! So I'm not walking around much while I wait to make sure it's healed enough to not break open again. No I'm not getting stitches. He** to the NO!

Aaaaanyway, think this one shows a flower bud and hairs best from the pics I have. Sorry, this was from phone. When I'm getting around a little better, I'll take a pic with real camera.

I can't tell from your pic of those are new leaves or flower buds. They're similar for a few days at first if your plant is same as mine. Kind of think they're buds since that doesn't look like enough light to make the new growth reddish at first. Only had this plant a few months though, my newbie observations...

Either way, it's definitely cause for excitement! Unhappy plants don't grow new things that fast and abundantly.

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 11:41AM
greenlarry(UK 8/9)

Oh they're definitely flower buds Purple, bang om time for xmas. Thanksgiving cactus, lol

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 11:53AM

That's very cool, Larry!

My plant has been making a flower or two at a time for a while since being put in dappled light. I think it really likes it there. (Set on the ground to take a pic this morning.)

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 3:32PM
greenlarry(UK 8/9)

Purple, looks like yours is a deep red, envious. Mine is ordinary pink.

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 3:48PM
Lamora(4)

koolness to you all! Look what my TC is doing~ the one I have been stressing over for a while~~ go figure

All I had to do was "wait" lol. I know it is a very small start, but it is still a start! Maybe a lesson is to be learned here? for me of course ;)
Marjie

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 8:01PM

That's so cute!!! Well done.

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 10:11PM
birdsnblooms

Easter Cactus leaf segments are round, as Rhizo stated. Flowers differ from TC and CC.

Easter Cactus

Easter Cactus blooms

Wish my Easter Cactus looked as nice as when first purchased..Reason I bought this guy were flower colors..One side has red blooms, the other side orange.

Larry, your TC is a beauty! So full and compact.

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 12:43PM
greenlarry(UK 8/9)

Thanks. Itd getting restarted soon...

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 12:59PM
meyermike_1micha(5)

At first glance, I thought it was turning into a Tarantula! It is beautful Larry as well as yours Toni.

I love the two tone effect on the flowers. Nice.

Mike

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 2:27PM
More Discussions
Advice for house plant --- very little sunshine, pics included
Would any of these plants work for a bedroom that gets...
bob131313
Moister Measurement
I recall having a very useful tool that I could stick...
bobv2
mini indoor palm tree dilemma help please!
Hey guys, I have a mini palm tree in my bedroom. It...
queenofhearts3
Do you like Cineraria with larger flowers?
I love spring Cineraria. I love this too -
jujujojo_gw
Diatomaceous Earth vs. Fired Clay in Gritty Mix
I've seen Napa Floor-Dry (8822), which is diatomaceous...
kwie2011
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™