Onions from Seed in Zone 6

muddypaws4ever(6)December 2, 2012

I've read a lot of conflicting info on when to start my onion seeds in zone 6. I've come up with this and am looking for your thoughts. The kinds I have are:
Tropeanda Tonda
Yellow Borettana
Dorata di Parma

The plan is to sow thickly in 3x3 co. on 2-15. Diluted fish fert every 2x. not to thin. cut back leaves to 3" every two weeks. Plant out as transplants on 4-15.

Does this timing sound right?
Unrelated question; can you chop and freeze onions right away or do you have to wait the 3-4 months to cure before chopping and freezing?

Thanks for the info.

PS I did great concentrating on my peppers last year because of all your good advice. Next year -- onions!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
muddypaws4ever(6)

I mean two to three weeks to cure.

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 11:43AM
lonmower(zone8 Western Oregon)

FYI...you may now edit your posts after posting. There is a tab for this on the right hand side of the page after you submit...in other words, no need for a second post

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 1:36PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Other than Yellow Borettana which I know is a long-day variety I would have to look up each of those varieties to find out if they are short day or long day or intermediate day length varieties - onions are day length sensitive and that determines which type you can grow and when they are planted. So without that info this is just general info.

Would also help to know where in zone 6 you are located to know which types you should be using.

In my part of zone 6b we use only short day varieties and they are started from seed in early December and transplanted to the garden in late January - to early February.

If you haven't already done so I'd suggest you go to http://www.dixondalefarms.com/ and review some of their detailed info on growing onions and learn which types you should grow and when to plant.

Dave

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 2:19PM
claydirt(5)

'Cut back leaves to 3". Plant out as transplants on 4-15.'

I have not researched the type of onions you are planting, however...

I think you could put them out sooner than that. I live in central Indiana and usually plant onions by mid-April. 2012 was so strange and mild, they went out the first half of March and did great. We just got changed from zone5 to zone6.

3" sounds a little short to me. This past year, I pruned mine to about 6" tall because the wouldn't fit in the old fish aquarium I was using as a mini greenhouse. I use old "lunch meat" tubs wrapped with duck tape to keep light out and drilled some drain holes for starting the seeds. I got about 70 onions per tub.

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 7:11AM
muddypaws4ever(6)

Thanks for all the info!

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 7:59AM
More Discussions
Who uses hog/cattle panels for Tomato Trellis? Need some advice
Hello, I'm close to going with some kind of livestock...
srj19
nibbler of artichokes and broccoli
Hi, All, I recently moved from NJ to CA and am faced...
emmers_m
Anyone else not liking this "new and improved" houzz thingy?
It took a long time to get through all of the bells...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Do eggplants have high yield?
I'm going to grow one. Thinking of growing two. Do...
shijitake
Planting Oca in Tubs?
Has anyone done this with any success? How big a tub...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™