Cleaning white spots off of leaves, Rubber Ivy

flowerpottipperOctober 3, 2012

Hello Everyone,

I recently have been looking everywhere and finally found a Senecio macroglossus (rubber ivy) at a local nursery. I was sooo excited, but I'm sure most of you know that feeling of when you find that plant that you've been wanting and have been looking everywhere for...so yay for me, one plant off my list of 'must haves' for houseplants. And it's a really nice size one too, it's a really big hanging pot.

Anyways, like all plants that I buy, it's in a secluded spot til I know for sure that it isnt carrying anything bad that can pass onto my other plants...BUT, it has ALOT of those white spots on the leaves that I guess plants get from watering, (either pesticides or minerals?) and it has just too many leaves to clean, but I will take the time if I must to clean it, but what's the best way to clean them??

Also, I keep getting mixed answers on watering, some say to keep plant moist at all times, and others say to keep it on the dry side...I know it's a succulent, so I'm confused on the best way to water this plant since I know your not suppose to keep succulent plants moist at all times...but maybe this plant is not a true succulent??

Any help would be great, thank you.

-Carmen

here's a pic of the 'spots' on the leaves-

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

The spots are probably a fungicide left to dry on the leaves before shipping to the retailer, or a combination fungicide/pesticide. Cleaning them probably won't be easy. Try a spritz/rinse of a very mild solution of Castille Peppermint Soap or Murphy's Oil Soap and water first, trying to keep as much soap out of the soil as possible. If that doesn't work, use a face cloth or sponge & add some elbow grease to the soap spritz.

Evenly moist is great, but easier said than done. I'd definitely use a soil based on particles larger than peat or compost, like pine bark, when I next repot, and I'd make it a full repot instead of just a potting-up.

If it was my plant, I'd nurse it through the winter and repot it (June) into the soil I most favor for houseplants, and especially those that don't like wet feet.

Al

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 6:21PM
More Discussions
Do I have natural original Chlorophytum comosum?
I have bought Chlorophytum comosum but I don't know...
dert17
Hawaiian Schefflera - 'Haircut' & Propagate
In this Forum, where I have been for only 1 week, I...
bobv2
Alii Ficus
Ok, today I picked up an Alii Ficus. Thing is, I spotted...
Joe1980
March Flowers
I feel guilty posting this as teen usually does but...
MrBlubs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™