I just ordered * 24 ** --

toomuchglass(5)June 10, 2011

Plastic PINK FLAMINGOS !!!!

Yep --- 24 !!! LOL *DH loved the one I made with beads & I have 2 more "in the making" ... he gave me the thumbs up to go ahead & order them :)

I'm picturing having my whole front lawn filled with blinged up flamingos for sale. LOL ( XXXing

my fingers I can do it ! )

I have ideas for painting them -- but this certain plastic doesn't take paint very good. I tried Krylon plastic paint ... and Rustoleum Plastic paint ... neither one is really good. It bubbles up in places , and scratches off easily. I found out if I let it cure for about 2 weeks - it's okay. Do you know of any way to speed it up ? I can't sand the plastic flamingo ... but I'm thinking of wiping it down using lacquer thinner. Hopefully , if I do need to paint one , the paint will stick. Any more ideas ???

:) :) :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunnyca_gw

Try rubbing alcohol, it is used on metals before painting as it removes all oils from your fingers that may be on the plastic.I think I used it on glass before painting on it also. Maybe it will work on plastic, be sure it is dry before you attempt to paint it. The alcohol & paint won't mix so just let it dry well & don't touch it except where you have to, like on the legs. Maybe someone else has another idea. Jan

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 12:56AM
lindasewandsew(So Cal 9)

I looked up gesso online for outdoor uses. There were forums where they liked it for soft plastics and were also suggestions to use auto paints because many car parts are flexible. It's likely you should sand them no matter what you use. I used the plastic spray paint on GKs watering cans and it chips off when the kids sit or step on them. Linda

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 1:00AM
Purplemoon

Hmmm, I painted 3 of mine with the Krylon Fusion and then added a coat of clear. They've been out in the yard, mostly in shade but some sun, for a couple of years. Paint has held up good. I occasionally shoot the hose on them to rinse off the AZ Dust too.

hugs, Karen

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 5:52AM
concretenprimroses(4B NH)

I think Kilz primer is the best. I used to use it on glass and ceramic lamps to prepare them for painting or gilding as a base for decoupage. Not sure how it works on plastic, but if I paint my flamingo I think I'm going to kilz it first. Just don't inhale the stuff, open window or even better paint outdoors.
Kathy

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 6:22AM
a.girl.named.max(4a)

Where did you buy the flamingos? I want some too! TFS

Thanks much.

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 8:45AM
toomuchglass(5)

I ordered them online from Home Depot.

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 4:42PM
gramma_cindy(5)

I cant wait to see some more when you're done! They are definitely on my to-do list (which is super long and growing! LOL)

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 11:33PM
Purplemoon

Max I got mine off eBay. I just bought a pair of pink ones and a pair of white ones (Snowmingos). But some sellers had 'lots' of birds sold by dozen or more. I haven't looked lately but am sure still plenty of flamingos available there and good prices.

hugs, Karen

Bookmark   June 11, 2011 at 4:48AM
sprout_wi(z4 WI)

Would spray primer work?

Bookmark   June 12, 2011 at 1:51AM
luna_llena_feliz

I will have to go looking for your house Kathy when you get your flamingos done! That would be a sight! I remember in Cedarburg years ago, they had a fund raiser where they put dozens of flamingos in front of businesses and then the business had to pay the organization to take them away. It was so fun. I can't wait to see what you do with your flock!

Bookmark   June 12, 2011 at 2:35AM
More Discussions
Hi all
I couldn't edit the subject...sorry ... I was thinking...
msjay2u
A Birdhouse Trellis
Here is a birdhouse trellis I made this summer from...
kirkus
Meep Meep
It's been blistering hot here. The pictures posted...
tinfoilhat
My Summer Project - Potting Shed Makeover
We had a cute little shed used for storage of our mower,...
luvs2click
Flower Bed Bed Ideas
I was given two white plastic fence panels (similar...
xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™