Shell Curtain

marleneann(Buderim, Australia.)June 7, 2010

I made this shell curtain to hang behind the garden seat.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunnyca_gw

Neat!! You must have a good supply of shells over there!Jan

Bookmark   June 7, 2010 at 2:12AM
Calamity_J(z7bc)

Cool, now you need to build a little platform, for the performing fairies to set up stage!heh heh!

Bookmark   June 7, 2010 at 9:06AM
jeannespines

That is very pretty (and time-consuming, I bet!)...do you live near the beach? Will look wonderful behind your garden seat. TFS! Jeanne S.

Bookmark   June 7, 2010 at 10:49AM
grandmathyme

Very pretty! I just LOVE all the ideas people come up with on this forum!

Bookmark   June 7, 2010 at 12:48PM
sprout_wi(z4 WI)

Marleneann- Your shell curtain is beautiful - I LOVE it!! Did you gather the shells from your area? I would love to do a tropical/Hawaiian garden. You've inspired me. Good job. I would relax in the garden seat any time!!
-Sprout

Bookmark   June 7, 2010 at 12:56PM
marleneann(Buderim, Australia.)

Yes I live near the beach...however we are not allowed to gather seashells from our beaches. Big fines if caught. I purchased these from the Dollar Shops that get them from overseas.

Bookmark   June 7, 2010 at 6:21PM
jeannespines

Oh, that is sad...is there a shortage on shells on your beaches???? Weird law, it seems to me...enlighten me with the reasoning of this law. Anyway, your DS shells are beautiful! Jeanne S.

Bookmark   June 7, 2010 at 6:38PM
socalliegal

Did you drill holes...that was always my dilema with shells. We can still collect from our beaches..but they only show up after a good storm.

There is a vendor that used to go to a craft faire in the area and always had strung sea shells and driftwood. Similiar to the piece in the link. My g/f bought plenty from them, especially the pieces that were strung with 3-dimensional copper dolphins...was so pretty. She had used electrical cording for stringing so it lasted a long time in the yard. My big thing was always how to drill?

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   June 7, 2010 at 7:08PM
socalliegal

Jeannie, many countries are not allowed to collect specimens from the beaches any more. I believe Florida has a law on the books as well.
taken from Wikipedia.......
"Empty seashells are often picked up by beachcombers, and collecting these shells is a harmless hobby or study. However, the majority of seashells which are offered for sale commercially have been collected alive (often in bulk) and then killed and cleaned, specifically for the commercial trade. This type of large-scale exploitation can sometimes have a strong negative impact on local ecosystems, and sometimes can significantly reduce the distribution of rare species."

Hope it helps to explain why...

Bookmark   June 7, 2010 at 7:20PM

I couldn't have it explained it as well as you did socalliegal.
Thanks!

Bookmark   June 7, 2010 at 9:10PM
luna_llena_feliz

marleneann, your curtain is lovely! That is a great idea for old seashell necklaces too. I often see them at rummage sales and thrift stores. Or in my bead cabinet! lol Now I just need a piece of driftwood ...

Bookmark   June 8, 2010 at 1:26AM
Marlene Kindred

Looks just wonderful Marlene! Looks like it took you quite a while to string all of those as well....I know it will look great with a garden bench too.

Bookmark   June 8, 2010 at 3:28PM
jeannespines

Thanks for the explanation!(still too bad for those of us who appreciate nature & wouldn't purposely abuse beach finds!) I pick up driftwood & shells on lake shores whenever possible...a fav adventure! Jeanne S.

Bookmark   June 8, 2010 at 10:44PM
jlily(Z6)

Yours is a lovely shell curtain. I would like to look for shells on the beach, too. The same way that I collect rocks where ever I go.
Thanks for sharing. JLily

Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 9:48PM
mmebrady

I did not see an answer to whether you drilled holes in the seashells -- my daughter is interested in possibly making something similar

Bookmark   June 16, 2010 at 7:09PM
spedigrees z4VT

Seashells can be drilled. I have a friend who made necklaces of shells.

Your shell curtain is very nice, Marleneann. Being near the beach as you are, it is a perfect outdoor decoration. It must have taken a long time to make.

I expect our northeastern (US) beaches will enact prohibitions against shell collecting at some point in the future. It will be sad when that happens.

Bookmark   June 16, 2010 at 11:11PM

mmebrady ...yes hubby drilled them with an electric drill.
...and yes...some did break.

Bookmark   June 17, 2010 at 12:47AM
More Discussions
Re purposing A Window
Hi, I just got all new windows for my house, and don't...
gabby811 6 NJ
msn garden junk-sad
As some of you know, MSN is closing! I am sorry to...
nonacook
Satellite dish
My first attempt at painting a discarded dish that...
oldcrafty
Hi all
I couldn't edit the subject...sorry ... I was thinking...
msjay2u
New here...sorta
Hey y'all! I was here ages ago. Well, mostly on the...
valkyrja01
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™