stepping stones or pathway material?

edwena0316(4MN)June 14, 2010

I just put edging and mulch in my front yard (am turning it into cottage garden) and I would like frugal suggestions for pathways/stepping stones the more untraditional and creative the better. I'm not great in the idea department so any help anyone can give is greatly appreciated!TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
north40(z3 MN)

In one of my gardens I have a few old heat registers from a very old house (the kind that were on the wall and made of iron). Kind of ornate looking.

Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 5:55AM
mmebrady

I have seen upside down muffin tins and upsise down bottles sunk into the ground

Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 7:18AM
indylisa

I am doing a pathway too, will be interested to suggestions.
Lisa

Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 8:35AM
edwena0316(4MN)

I like the heat register idea in fact i have one i bought at a ts and wasn't sure what to do with it but it was toooo cooool to pass up. Thanks for the idea. Keep em comin!

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 12:56AM
luvs2click

We just put a new path in my outhouse bed - the look is traditional but the cost was free - it is broken up concrete. You can find it occasionally for free on craigslist. We had used stones before but they were breaking up pretty badly. This stuff is pretty thick.

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 8:07AM
excessfroufrou(7)

My idea is really way out there but, I always wanted to make a path out of the tops of toilet tanks (the rectangle part) . I always see toilets by the curb. Either all white or mixed pastels would be cool.
Frou

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 10:17AM
Calamity_J(z7bc)

Fru-those would be slippery...

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 8:47PM
smickerdoodle

I made a bunch of stained glass stepping stones and around them I put glass mulch. I made the mulch from broken and tumbled alcohol bottles that I got from the local bars. It saves them from the landfills and it is about as cheap as you can get....FREE! If you choose to do this I would suggest breaking the glass pieces small so that they don't break when walked on and then tumble them for a couple of hours in a cement mixer with a small amount of play sand. The stepping stones are pretty easy to make but not cheap so if you are on a budget you could make plain stones from quick crete.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 9:37PM
jeannespines

If you have trees down from storms, DH cut these small stepping stones for our new bird arbor ...they don't last a real long time but this pic is from Nov 08 when we built the arbor & the tree stepping stones are still hanging in there l-l/2 yrs. later...with lots of plants & mulch around them now. Jeanne S.

I'll take a more recent pic soon!

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 11:48PM
edwena0316(4MN)

@excessfrufru I could turn them over, fill with soil and I have great creeping thyme that you can walk on then they would be living "stones".
@smickerdoodle No glass I walk around barefoot too much and I have great issues with hurting my self on sharp objects, but it sounds like a great idea for someone who wouldn't potentially hurt themselves! Thank you everyone for the great ideas. Greatly appreciated!

Bookmark   June 21, 2010 at 12:56AM
More Discussions
Changing Landscape part TWO
The time has come. A new idea is a must come spring....
arcy_gw
Thinking of turning this old water faucet into a short light post
I figured removing the faucet itself...and adding a...
cadillactaste
Good garden markers needed soon
Does anyone know where I can get good garden markers?...
Corkelcol
Satellite dish
My first attempt at painting a discarded dish that...
oldcrafty
Anybody on here from say 10 years ago?
looking for someone because I lost touch with them...
gardnpondr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™