What kind of paint for glass?

giggles1June 30, 2010

I want to make a bunch of mushrooms (the bowl ontop of a vase type) and I'd really like to have them colored. You know, red w/ white dots and another set of "natural" colors.

I know it's been suggested to use nail polish in globes... does it really hold up? I'm also a couponer, so I have TONS of free nail polish! Even if I could get 2-3 years and then just re-do them!

Any other paints that will hold up?

Am I better off glueing stones on the top? The red ones always loose their color tho :(

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nonacook(8bFL)

The nail polish was usually used on the inside of the globes and that made it last longer. I don't know about
fading tho. Some probably would. My red glass globs are holding their own-but in the shade-and have been outside a couple of years. Mybe the red depends on the brand....

Bookmark   June 30, 2010 at 10:24AM
beck_wi(z5 WI)

Eons ago when someone put a bunch of swirled nail polish inside a fish bowl, it did eventually fade away.

There is a specially made glass paint, that's meant for making faux stained glass windows. One would assume it might not fade as quickly, but you never know.

However, if you are willing to re-do them every couple years, then the nail polish would probably give you a more intense color, because the glass paint is usually an opaque/translucent color.

Bookmark   July 1, 2010 at 12:15AM
sunnyca_gw

Folk Art has 'Enamels" paint for glass such as mugs & wine glasses etc. It has to cure for 21 days before using which I did but I used the glassware inside. The bottle doesn't say anything about outdoor use.You can go to www.plaidonline.com & see if they have more up-to-date info of these paints. I just got that info off of Engine red color of enamel. Gallery glass is what someone used on shower door but I think it was kept in shade, it does fade in sun. I did some flowers on mom's door window between garage & covered patio & they have not faded because it is low light. Jan

Bookmark   July 1, 2010 at 1:41AM
still_lynnski

There is a paint sold specifically for glass, and you can find it in good art stores. I've attached a link for buying it online at Dick Blick. The colors are very true and intense, and you bake it in the oven to cure. I've used in in several stained glass piece, including one that's been hanging in a west-facing location for 9 years now. Very intense sun, and no fading whatsoever.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pebeo Vitrea paint for glass

Bookmark   July 1, 2010 at 9:10AM
concretenprimroses(4B NH)

Looks like lynnski's suggeston is the the best bet, but here is a link to a blog making painted drinking glasses that you bake in the oven. Its using Sharpie paint pens.
Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Star drinking glasses

Bookmark   July 2, 2010 at 7:47AM
More Discussions
Anybody on here from say 10 years ago?
looking for someone because I lost touch with them...
gardnpondr
Meep Meep
It's been blistering hot here. The pictures posted...
tinfoilhat
Changing landscape
We moved in 15 years ago. In the process of cutting...
arcy_gw
Recycling old purses in the garden!
I would have never thought of this myself! I sure wish...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
glass insulators
WWYD? A friend gave me close to 100 glass telephone...
chickiebabeblue
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™