Staghorn Fern ID?

wandering_willow(6 NYC)October 23, 2010

Hi Everyone, my boyfriend just bought me a beautiful staghorn fern in a hanging basket for my birthday, and I am hoping someone here can help me figure out what type it is and how best to care for it! I posted before in the Fern forum, but got no answers, so I was hoping for better luck her. I really want to do right by it, it is so beautiful!

I am sort of considering mounting it, but am afraid to hurt it - does anyone have any recommendations as to whether or not I should, and if I should how best to do it?

Thanks in advance!

Here are the pictures :) I'm sorry they are big, I cannot figure out how to resize them...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrmothernature

It could be a Platycerium andinum or P. holttumii. They are hard to distinguish. Both have similar care requirements - lots of warmth, moisture and bright indirect light. It would look better mounted, but that could be difficult because it looks like it is in a fairly large pot with a substantial rootball and because it is an upright growing plant.

I suggest that you wait at least 6 months until it has had enough time to adapt to its (your) new home and you have had time to learn how to manage its requirements.

Will Creed

Bookmark   October 24, 2010 at 8:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wandering_willow(6 NYC)

Thank you so much for responding! I will definitely way the 6 months, I don't want to upset it! I like it very much, I really hope I can do right by it! I will follow your advice of keeping it warm/moist and in indirect sun! Luckily that's what I've done so far based on generic staghorn information I looked up... So far it seems happy enough, but it's only been with me two weeks...

Thanks again for your help!!

Bookmark   October 24, 2010 at 8:55PM
More Discussions
Do I have natural original Chlorophytum comosum?
I have bought Chlorophytum comosum but I don't know...
dert17
Pruning Ficus Lyrata (fiddle leaf fig)
Hi everyone! I have a 5 foot tall healthy, indoor ficus...
erich60660
It hursts so that my Pachira Aquatica "money tree" plant is hurting so
Hi all, love this site and I finally joined! I've read...
mobbsuit_beasley
help my Imperial Green Philodendron
Hello dears , I've a very beautiful and large Philodendron...
sara03
Jasmine plant in suspended animation
Hi all, Hubby bought me a little jasmine plant for...
vamtngranny
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™