Need help with Antherium

char35October 31, 2012

I've had a small antherium (about 10 inches high) for a couple of years and have struggled to keep it alive with an occasional bloom. I don't have proper lighting for it in winter. I was considering a grow light. Can any one offer suggestions on type and lumins needed. Thank you for any help. My antherium thanks you too.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantomaniac08(8)

Just to let you know, Anthuriums are not easy to grow to begin with so being that you say you've had it for a couple of years, I'd say you're doing more than some of us could (even if you were struggling to keep it alive).

Planto

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 4:42PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Seems like there should be a lot of sun for you in winter in TX. No good window to put your plant by? The one I got in the spring seems to like a lot of light except mid-day, which burned it a little, but that is outside. If you have just the one plant, maybe you could put it outside most days, just bring it in on cold nights.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 6:03PM
marricgardens

I bought one recently and then googled for care instructions. So far so good. The articles all agreed to give it high light levels but not direct sunlight. Mine is happy in a west window and seems to be doing o.k. Marg

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 6:08PM
char35

I leave it outside as long as the temp. is over 60 degrees.
The area around our house has a lot of trees and in winter the sun angle is to low to give the antherium enough light.
I was thinking of adding a grow light when it's indoors.
I've been reading recent comments on grow lights, but I'm not sure if 1 - 60 watt CFL "daylight" bulb that provides about 5000K would be the right amount of light for the one plant. I would put the bulb in a "clamp lamp". Then, the next question would be how close should the light be to the plant. I read somewhere it should be about 1 foot away. What do you all think?

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 11:49PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Haven't tried that kind of bulb but have used shop lights a few winters for other plants. I would put the bulb much closer to the plant but that's just a guess. Hope it helps, these sure are pretty!

Bookmark   November 2, 2012 at 9:21AM
More Discussions
HELP!!!!
I just recently bough this plant and it has all this...
lorennland
Spider plant vs Mother-in-Law's Tongue: Day vs Night
I know that Spider plant and Mother-in-Law's Tongue...
dert17
mini indoor palm tree dilemma help please!
Hey guys, I have a mini palm tree in my bedroom. It...
queenofhearts3
Hawaiian Schefflera - 'Haircut' & Propagate
In this Forum, where I have been for only 1 week, I...
bobv2
Droopy Pachira aquatica in 3:1:1
Hi, Last year I planted our 7 year old pachira aquatica...
true_blue (MTL CAN Z4)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™