Fireflies & Bottle Bugs

luvs2clickJune 14, 2011

They're SWARMING! Photos of bottle bugs and fireflies made from old Christmas bulbs that I made for a show this past weekend. They literally FLEW away - people loved them. Hope you've enjoyed the photos - it's been awhile since I've posted, but I try to visit the board at least once a week to see what you've all been up to. Arlene

Here is a link that might be useful: Lots more photos from my show and of my garden

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marylee_2010

Arlene, those are really cute and so creative. I love them. Thank you for sharing.
Marylee

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 10:19AM
oldcrafty(8)

Those are great. I can see why they FLEW off the shelf!!! Are the christmas light ones done on a magnet? Or how does one display them in the garden. I can see them hovering over a potted plant.....can they be staked? They are just tooooooo cute. Don't think I could have bought just one! The bottle bugs are cute too. What a creative project. Thanks for sharing pics.

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 10:30AM
luvs2click

If you look closely at the first picture you can see the hole I made of wire for hanging. I displayed them on small shepherd's hooks. I have some smaller Christmas bulbs I was thinking of making with magnets, but then had the idea to use the small ones to make tiny bugs for fairy gardens, so that is probably what I will do. I can form a hook for them to hang on out of wire or old hangers.

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 11:42AM
oldcrafty(8)

I see the hook. I suppose it could be positioned under the bug also so that it could be attached to a small stake and used as a plant stake or to a heavier gauge wire as a coat hanger and then it could sway in the wind. The small ones for a fairy garden sounds toooo cute. I'm making a fairy garden for my granddaughter. Thanks for the reply.
Have a great day.

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 11:56AM
Marlene Kindred

So many cute ideas Luvs! Your gnome and fairy gardens are just too cute! Where do you find your sweet faced gnomes...LOVE them! Glad you sold so many things too....that's great news!

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 12:51PM
luvs2click

I found most of the gnomes at Jo-Ann Fabrics. I drill a hole in the bottom of them and glue in a piece of hanger so they are on a stake. I found some at Dollar General also as pot hangers - those things that hang over the side of the flower pots. I picked the ones that looked like they could be sitting and drilled a hole in the bottom of them too and inserted a stake. I use a Dremel. I like these little gnomes too - so many have an evil look to them - I only like the cute ones.

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 2:50PM
jeannespines

Wow! You've been a busy woman! Bugs, bugs, everywhere! Glad they flew away for you! Really cute idea using the Christmas bulbs ...as we've gone to LED lights now...great recycling! Jeanne S.

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 5:52PM
sunnyca_gw

So cute! Glad they made you some money!! Great displays as always! Jan

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 8:07PM
nanatricia

I love love love every thing in your alb,You do such great work !!1

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 10:32PM
lizzardly

Another project to add to the list of things I must have soon. If the list gets much bigger I'll have to build another room on the house just to contain it. : )

Really adorable creations. Thanks for the inspiration.

Bookmark   June 16, 2011 at 9:20PM
More Discussions
Anybody on here from say 10 years ago?
looking for someone because I lost touch with them...
gardnpondr
msn garden junk-sad
As some of you know, MSN is closing! I am sorry to...
nonacook
Hanging Garden Globes
Here's one of my favorite garden junk projects ever:...
janetgia
Working with crushed gemstones
Maybe this is a question to a wrong forum, but I see...
briergardener_gw
Good garden markers needed soon
Does anyone know where I can get good garden markers?...
Corkelcol
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™