ID please!

atownOctober 8, 2011

This plant was given by a friend who moved. She said it's been in this condition for YEARS and she has no idea what kind it is.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
atown

Bookmark   October 8, 2011 at 10:12PM
paul_(z5 MI)

Looks like a sickly Adenium obesum.

If so, come warm temps in the spring, cut it back to within about an inch from the trunk, and harden it off/acclimate it to at least part sun outside. In the meantime, don't water it unless the trunk starts to shrivel.

Seem about right folks?

Bookmark   October 8, 2011 at 11:17PM
odyssey3(7 noVA)

Yes, looks like a Desert Rose to me too. Though I would cut back the branches now instead of waiting for Spring. I pruned mine just a week ago. It also looks light starved and perhaps potted a little too low in the pot.

Bookmark   October 9, 2011 at 10:02PM
atown

Odyssey3- When you say "potted too low", does that mean I should take dirt out or put dirt in? Should I repot in a desert mix? I am in MI, so it is cold and dark here already. Do you think it will do okay if I cut it back now in this zone?

Bookmark   October 10, 2011 at 8:52PM
birdsnblooms

Atown. I'd wait until spring to cut..besides, leaves might grow in the bare spots if your Desert Rose/Adenium is given more sunlight.

If/when you do cut, don't cut below or in the graft...the bump nearest the bottom of each trunk. See the line/bump I mean? Toni

Bookmark   October 11, 2011 at 1:49AM
More Discussions
umbrella plant care
I recently bought an indoor umbrella plant just like...
desdurso
Avocado Plant Dying
I bought this grafted dwarf Wurtz avocado tree this...
nobbyv77
Hawaiian Schefflera - 'Haircut' & Propagate
In this Forum, where I have been for only 1 week, I...
bobv2
Peace Lily -Black Leaves
This is a repost from 2005! I've reviewed every thread...
sylvan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™