1. Concrete stuff 2. Cobalt paint per Purplemoon

concretenprimroses(4B NH)June 30, 2010

1. Concrete stuff

Here are some pics of a few of my concrete creations. I've not gotten very creative, but it is a lot of fun. I've got lots of used jello molds and cake pans.

Base is a big blue pot from BigLots and to little concrete bird on the top I bought (wish I could make them!)

Zorro guards this little number doing his batboy imitation which is appropriate cuz if you look at the bottom/base of the rock you'll see spiderman's nemesis. We dug this big rock out of our driveway.

I'll continue in this thread but in a couple more posts in case uploading is a problem for some folks.

Kathy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
concretenprimroses(4B NH)

I haven't stuck the two sides of the sphere together yet, but they are staying as is. This rock bench is the first big rock to rise out of our driveway (and dh wonders why I don't want to pave it).

I just like to pour in pretty cake pans to make simple but attractive stepping stones.

Kathy (next cobalt blue)

Bookmark   June 30, 2010 at 11:15AM

Purplemoon found out that Krylon for plastic NAVY color turns out cobalt colored. I bought Rustoleum for plastic, NAVY hoping it would work also.

Before:

After:

Thanks Karen!

Kathy

PS I have more concrete, including a garden edged in fish shapes, but the garden is so messy right now I just can't take pics of them.

Bookmark   June 30, 2010 at 11:19AM
soonergirl1968(7a OKC)

I love your stuff!! Did you use ready-mix concrete? I can't get the fine details you have with hypertufa. Did you line your metal molds with plastic? Sorry for all the questions - I just LOVE concrete!! :)

Bookmark   June 30, 2010 at 11:43AM

Thank you.
I used to rub vasoline on the molds, but Pam Spray is much quicker and easier.
So far I have always used quick crete brand ready mix. But the aggregate is too much. Someone on the stained glass and mosaics forum over at the Home forums (it was either Slow or Klinger, can't remember), recommended that I try mortar mix. so I've got a bag of that sitting on my passenger seat. I'm really hoping to use it soon. I'll let you know how it goes.
Kathy

Bookmark   June 30, 2010 at 12:03PM
tbledsaw(5)

I love your artworks too! I've never thought of using cake pans before. What a great idea!!!

Just so you know, mortar doesn't hold together well. It is very crumbly, even when you add strengthener. I made the mushroom caps for my gnome home with it, and they both are very brittle and crumbly. After I painted them I sprayed them with Thompson's water sealant, so hopefully they'll last a little longer. I have a feeling cement is truly the best way to go.

Bookmark   June 30, 2010 at 12:18PM
excessfroufrou(7)

Those are all super duper, that bird is so sweet. You make me want to do concrete stuff, right away and DH always whines when it comes to me doing these projects. I don't get it. Zorro, is adorable, a homeless kitty had kittens under our storage building at work and now I'm in the process of taming them and finding homes for them. The momma and 2 of the 5 kittens look just like Zorro. I really like the navy paint also, it's what I used on my planter of my 4th decorations that I posted on your other thread.
Frou

Bookmark   June 30, 2010 at 2:16PM
grandma_cindy(5)

love the blue color!

Bookmark   June 30, 2010 at 2:19PM
Marlene Kindred

WOW! I love the concrete molds...never thought of using old cake pans and jello molds! Great idea! And your blue pot is beautiful! TFS!

Bookmark   June 30, 2010 at 5:10PM
jeannespines

crete ...your concrete stuff is AWESOME! I love how you added (in 1st pic) to the Big Lots pot...& finished with the cute bird! Looks wonderful among your plants!

The molds look like they work great for you! I also use spray veggie when doing rock faces or mushrooms. And I love your painted angel pot with the Lobelia! BEAUTIFUL! TFS! Jeanne S.

Bookmark   June 30, 2010 at 9:08PM
nanatricia

Very cool I love them .I will keep the bunt pans I have been trying to give a way .Lots of ideas here. Try sifting the quick crete brand ready mix to get the rocks out .I do a lot of mushrooms and things to mosaic .

Bookmark   June 30, 2010 at 10:30PM
Purplemoon

Everything is soooo neat, and I love it all. including Zorro, LOL. And those big rocks....sigh! Now I'm going to looking at cooking molds and cake pans in a different light!

I used the Quik Rete mortar for the stepping stones I made.
I just use my stones for decorative purpose. But they have held up fine for years in the yard. No crumbling whatsoever. I painted most of mine (just regular outdoor housepaint, a cement stone maker told me to use) tho the two terra cotta colored ones are the cement colorant.
This Quik Rete is so smooth and easy to use, I love it.

hugs, Karen

Bookmark   June 30, 2010 at 11:31PM
beck_wi(z5 WI)

Keep those pans out when old man winter arrives. Its the second project on the right side of the page.

I always say I'm going to make these and then never do.

Great job on the concrete Kathy. The first one of the blue pot almost reminds me of a pagoda (in a very loose translation of one)

Here is a link that might be useful: bundt pan luminaries

Bookmark   July 1, 2010 at 12:07AM
luna_llena_feliz

I love your concrete creations! That first picture with the piece that looks like a flower is fantastic! And check out concrete molds on eBay and you might find one for a bird similar to your cute little bird. I really like your blue pot too. That turned out great! I'll have to remember that. Now I'll have to look for jello and cake pans...

Bookmark   July 1, 2010 at 1:34AM
shadyswing(z5)

Great pieces, Kathy; so creative! In the top photo, the piece below the bird almost looks like a pom-pom chrysanthemum. Nice work!

Bookmark   July 1, 2010 at 7:12AM

Thank you everyone. Shady, that chrysanthemum form is my favorite. It is on top of an inverted one of the same type, tho that's hard to see in the picture. It is a bundt pan with a hole, so I could in theory stack them high with a pipe in the middle. (Mine are just piled up with nothing but gravity to hold them.) But I've never figured out what to use as spacers.
Karen I love your stones. Particularly that black bunny. Glad to hear that quickrete mortar mix held up for you. That is what I got I'll have to cross my fingers.

There is so much I want to do, and I have to admit, my energy level has been low. Gotta set some "concrete" goals for myself!

Kathy

Bookmark   July 1, 2010 at 8:40AM
More Discussions
Chain link fence arbor how-to ideas?
I have a new chain link fence running from my house...
servelan
Good garden markers needed soon
Does anyone know where I can get good garden markers?...
Corkelcol
Did this work?
This is our wedding car from "78. It was used...
nancyjane_gardener
msn garden junk-sad
As some of you know, MSN is closing! I am sorry to...
nonacook
Flower Bed Bed Ideas
I was given two white plastic fence panels (similar...
xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™