Stiff pants?

dulldecorator(5)June 25, 2009

Here is a cute little planter I made from baby bib overalls last year. It sits in my office window. Picked up 3 more pairs last week at thrift shop, so it looks like I will be making some as gifts for special people with birthdays coming up!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susiewantsroses(7b)

What talent!!!! We want details on how to make these!!!!

Bookmark   June 25, 2009 at 11:42AM
junkinthetrunk

Stiff pants...lol...I couldn't not look...I found this one online but never knew how to do it...Can you tell me what you used for stiffener? Thanks.

Bookmark   June 25, 2009 at 11:42AM
dulldecorator(5)

This was made by first of all soaking the bibs in liquid starch overnight.(Little bis are cutest- don't know if I would go much bifgger that 12 month size) Maybe overkill on the time but I wanted to make sure the starch permeated the fabric. Then I removed from starch bath (do not wring out) and inserted wadded up plastic Walmart bags into the legs and chest. I let one strap of mine hang down cuz that usually how my kids wore theirs. (Make sure that any bags with print are turned inside out as the print can bleed). I turned up the cuffs too because it seemed cuter with the shorter legs. Just play around with the stuffing till you get the look you want, definitely don't want it all straight and prim and proper! Then allow to dry. I left mine on the counter top on a layer of plastic to catch the run off, took about a day and a half. Remove stuffing and fill with flowers or vines. Mine has been kept indoors since made, and was sprayed with one can of spray poly. Anyone know what I could coat it with to keep it outside?

Bookmark   June 25, 2009 at 11:53AM
goldenpond((Vero.Beach FL 9b))

Lovely. I tease my hubby that his shirts have so much starch they can stand in a corner

Bookmark   June 25, 2009 at 1:21PM
junkinthetrunk

Thanks for the info..love your little wagon with it. Now if I can only find the bibs I have put away for a rainy day.

Bookmark   June 25, 2009 at 1:35PM
jitterbug4756(zone 8)

That's so cute & adorable... would make a good baby shower gift too!!! don't know anyone with little kids, but Im sure gonna keep a look out @ the TS

Bookmark   June 25, 2009 at 2:06PM
susiewantsroses(7b)

There is a product called liquid porcelon. I'm pretty sure it would be safe on the porch with just the Poly on it.

Bookmark   June 25, 2009 at 2:08PM
leveta(6)

Could get marine varnish...I got some but havn't used it yet. Thanks for the ideal..I seen some one do this last yr, it may have been you and bought a pair of red/white/blue plaid shor overhauls. But never got that far...

Bookmark   June 25, 2009 at 2:35PM
sorie6(6b ok.)

I made several of these last year and did the same way but I coated them with liquid polyurathane. About 4 coats. I let ea. coat dry first of course. Mine have been out all winter and through the rains this spring and they are still stiff. They are a lot of fun to make and so cute. Good luck

Bookmark   June 25, 2009 at 10:16PM
janetgia(5b IA)

VERY cute!! Would be fun to do (somehow) a pair that looks like they are bent over, then stuck in the garden as if pulling weeds. These are adorable!

Bookmark   June 25, 2009 at 11:14PM
Calamity_J(z7bc)

I'm startin' a new garden guy...he's gonna need something like this...plus a brick wall!!!lol!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   June 26, 2009 at 12:36AM
tennesseetrash(7 east tenn)

All of those pics are soooooo cute! ~tenderlee

Bookmark   June 26, 2009 at 1:28PM
akup_a(7)

Calamity: what is he made of? He's so hansome!

My DH has several old jeans. I want to make some planters out them using this method. I thought maybe using glue, gallons of it.

dulldecorator(the name doesn't fit your creations): would you use the liquid starch straight, no dilutions?
You've done a lovely job.
Vickie

Bookmark   June 26, 2009 at 1:30PM
dulldecorator(5)

The liquid starch is straight, no dilution.

Bookmark   June 26, 2009 at 1:44PM
jlily(Z6)

Very cute with the Radio flyer Wagon. Thanks for sharing.
Jlily

Bookmark   June 26, 2009 at 2:44PM
Calamity_J(z7bc)

Akup, he is a metal light fixture that I bought at the TS I was working at, and then added the clothes...I've taken him apart and am in the process of making his body with wire mesh...debating on if I should fill him with hypertufa for extra weight as he will get a skim coat of cement then mosaiced so he may well be heavy enough by the end of all this...then I'm making him a brick wall to sit on!!! I'm so Egg-cited!!!lol!

Bookmark   June 26, 2009 at 8:03PM
sorie6(6b ok.)

clamity that is the cutest. Please post pics when you get the wall done. TFS.

Bookmark   June 26, 2009 at 10:33PM
susiewantsroses(7b)

Calam- Your precious Humpty would also look good on the ledge of someone's hen house!!!!

Bookmark   June 27, 2009 at 1:01PM
blossomsandlace

Neat!! You did a great job in it.

Betty

Bookmark   June 27, 2009 at 9:13PM
More Discussions
Craft fairs and Garden Junk
I know this really isn't the time of year to find Garden...
toomuchglass
Changing Landscape part TWO
The time has come. A new idea is a must come spring....
arcy_gw
glass insulators
WWYD? A friend gave me close to 100 glass telephone...
chickiebabeblue
Hi all
I couldn't edit the subject...sorry ... I was thinking...
msjay2u
Flower Bed Bed Ideas
I was given two white plastic fence panels (similar...
xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™