Spider Plant Disease?

ParisPolyphyllaOctober 10, 2012

I have two medium sized spider plants for about 1.5 years now. The past month I have noticed that entire leaves have been turning yellow and then really pale with reddish-yellow spots before wilting away. Whatever this disease/pest is it has been working from the outside leaves (the older ones) in.

I water them about once every ten days (when you stick a finger in and the soil feels dry). I don't see signs of too much chlorine in the water and the tips aren't brown. The plants are placed by a north-east facing window and they've just been repotted this summer.

Both spider plants have produced plantlets and I also see that in the plantlets (both still attached to the plant and/or repotted).

Help anyone!? These plants are losing a lot of leaves this way...

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)

There is no known spider plant disease. How often do you feed,water and repot

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 7:55AM
teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)

There is no known spider plant disease. How often do you feed,water and repot

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 8:05AM
goddess9(7b)

Have you checked for spider mites? Under the leaves, they may be hiding and they create webbing near the leaf axil.

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 8:38AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Paris, sensitivity to fluoride is the first thing that comes to mind with leaf spotting of Chlorophytum. Unlike chlorine, which will evaporate away if you leave it sitting overnight before using it, fluoride can get even stronger. Some people see improvements when they switch to distilled water. Perlite is another source of fluoride.

I am concerned about what might be going on with the root system since your repotting. Yellowing and loss of leaves usually means that something is "off " with the root/soil system. Is the new potting mix a nice, porous medium? Do the containers drain rapidly?

Yellowing can be caused by too much or too little moisture. Be sure that the plant dries out before watering again, then do so thoroughly. If the crown has begun to experience root rot, all bets are off.

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 1:27PM
More Discussions
Do you like Cineraria with larger flowers?
I love spring Cineraria. I love this too -
jujujojo_gw
Aglaonema - help
I bought this red aglaonema couple of months back....
bluehaven_gweb
Diatomaceous Earth vs. Fired Clay in Gritty Mix
I've seen Napa Floor-Dry (8822), which is diatomaceous...
kwie2011
help me identify this plant
It's indoor, never flowers, has kind of waxy, viney...
princessasamuela
Spider plant vs Mother-in-Law's Tongue: Day vs Night
I know that Spider plant and Mother-in-Law's Tongue...
dert17
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™