A good bush type melon

novagrdnr7aDecember 27, 2011

I'm looking to conserve some space in my garden this coming season and so was looking to try a bush variety cantaloupe. Burpee's Honey Bun gets poor reviews and another I am considering is Green Machine. If anyone can offer an opinion on those or any others with which you've had success, thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kawaiineko_gardener(5a)

Minnesota Midget is an early maturing cantaloupe. It has short vines, and is compact. The melons are smaller though; what size with weight are you looking for with cantaloupe?

Minnesota Midget also fares well with cool climates; I plan to order seeds for it. If you'd like a packet please e-mail me @ Jesusbeloved29@yahoo.com

Bookmark   December 27, 2011 at 8:27PM
rqeversole

Sleeping Beauty gets my vote.

Bookmark   December 27, 2011 at 9:32PM
novagrdnr7a

Thanks for your replies and your offer kawaiineko. I'm not sure about the size I'm looking for, maybe something 4-5 inches and in the 2-3 pound range but with shorter vines that won't trail all over and interfere with my other plantings. Green Machine from Baker Creek Seeds is one I'm strongly considering.

Bookmark   December 28, 2011 at 1:47PM
farmerdill

Green machine is a nice little cantaloupe in the Netted Gem class. The green flesh can be excellent, but some times when conditions are not right can be dissapointing. Minnesota Midget has amore conventional cantaloupe taste also a good little melon. There are bushier types available including Honey Bun, Bush Star. These are hybrids.I know little about Sleeping Beauty except that it is compact, very small ( under 1 lb) and was developed by Merlyn Niedens who also developed Green Machine, Golden Jenny,Sweet Passion,

Bookmark   December 28, 2011 at 2:34PM
More Discussions
Are artichokes difficult to germinate?
I planted some 8 days ago... I got nothing. They are...
Peter
Anyone else not liking this "new and improved" houzz thingy?
It took a long time to get through all of the bells...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Where is the sweet potato post?
Someone on here wanted to know if sweet potatoes would...
zzackey
Woody Parsnips
What causes parsnips to develop wrinkly skin and woody...
qbush
Fertilising
Hello All, I am planning my winter crop (live in New...
bopwinter
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™