Bromeliad pup removal?

muddeprivedNovember 12, 2013

My buddy gave me his Bromeliad plant that seemed to be in bad shape. The mother flower started browning at the tip and I'm assuming that's the end of the flower's life. There are three pups about 6-7 inches next to the main plant. Is there a certain way to remove the pups from the main plant to transport them to another pot? I'm not sure how to go about this.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicbreezent

There are a huge number of bromeliads and many require very different conditions. Do you know what it is, or at least the genus name? A photo would help. Sometimes the pups need to be left a bit longer on the parent plant before removing. A good soaking before repotting often helps. Some people spray with a weak sugar solution, I use weak molasses solution.

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 2:43AM
muddeprived

Picture of plant's pups.....

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 4:42AM
muddeprived

Picture of plant's flower....

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 4:43AM
nomen_nudum

The mother plant (with the flower) will eventually wilt back to the soil line. You could cut back the leaves or remove the entire mother part anytime that it looks unpleasent along the way to die back.

If left alone the pups would eventually push the original parent out of the pot.

Pups remaining should flower again in a couple years given you plenty of time to repot them seperatly if wanted.

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 5:57PM
tropicbreezent

That's a Guzmania, they prefer more shade and moisture than most other bromeliads. That flower is only just opening so it's likely to last a long time yet. Pups are better left until the parent plant is starting to decline, as suggested above. The Guzmanias also tend to like more fertiliser than many other bromeliads, but be mindful that it still should only be about orchid strength and not more.

Bookmark   November 14, 2013 at 2:22AM
More Discussions
Need Help with the Id of This plant
I need to know the name of this plant and if its a...
lulu627
March Flowers
I feel guilty posting this as teen usually does but...
MrBlubs
Schefflera and corn plant sharing a pot?
Anyone tried planting schefflera and Dracaena Fragrans...
Peter
My Calathea is blooming - hehe
Flowers look pretty good!
jujujojo_gw
Zebra cactus update - still not looking great?
Ok, so I first posted at the end of January about my...
niknac
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™