Problems with my Dracaena Massangeana

heartsopenwideNovember 19, 2011

From Desktop

Here is a history. The problems seemed to begin when I left my Dracaena outside and it got sun sorched. That seemed to resolved, but then I was battling with fungus gnats for some time. I used a safe organic spray on it for several weeks along with yellow sticky board. When that was not working I transplanted into sterile standard soil and placed sand on top to prevent any gnats from getting back in. During this re-planting I did not plant as deep as it was when I got the plant. This was several weeks ago and the trunk still appears to be wet were it was previously under the soil. The leaves started turning yellow and brown in some spots so I trimmed them a few days ago, but now they are even looking worse! What am I doing wrong? I really do not think I am over watering, I only water a few times a month. How can I salvage this?? It seems to be only affecting one of the canes, the taller cane is still nice a green.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

How often you water isn't ultimately what determines whether or not you're over-watering8ng. THAT is determined by the volume of air remaining in the soil after you water, with soil choice playing a very large part in that equation. In the end, the greater the volume of air in your soil after you water, the greater will be its potential to produce healthy plants that grow well (near their genetic potential). Your trunk is wet because the soil is wet enough that water can move up the trunk, pulled upward by capillary action. In some cases, the periderm (bark layer) can begin rotting and hold more water than it normally would, but your picture doesn't indicate that to be the case, though root rot can't be ruled out as a possible cause either.

In most cases, switching to a soil that is well-aerated, structurally STABLE for the long term, and drains very well will save growers from having to deal with a very high % of issues like you're facing.

Al

Bookmark   November 19, 2011 at 12:40PM
heartsopenwide

Thanks for the reply. I went to a garden shop and they guy told me I should get some "Black Gold Soil" have you used this? I also bought some transplant shock liquid to give to this Dracaena.

Bookmark   November 27, 2011 at 11:06PM
Stush2049(Pitts., Pa. 6)

Just wondering. The looks of your pot, does it have drainage holes in the bottom??

Bookmark   November 28, 2011 at 6:34PM
More Discussions
It hursts so that my Pachira Aquatica "money tree" plant is hurting so
Hi all, love this site and I finally joined! I've read...
elizabeasley
bugs?
My plants have a sticky substance on them. What is...
gerryl_ann
Dying Yukka Plant! Help!
Hi everyone, I have a yukka tree that is about 9 years...
fortunespace
Pothos Problems
My poor pothos is struggling. I've attached a few pictures,...
mwhcrew32
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Aran Yeo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™