Birds nest fern

jeffminifieldNovember 25, 2013

Hello everyone I am new to garden web I love all kinds of houseplants and outdoor trees and plants as well . I have been growing things since I was 8 im now 32 . Anyway over the years I have tried different kinds of ferns and they seem to not like the dryness of the house . Well yesterday I was at my local nursery and saw a large birds nest fern and they are claiming at the nursery it is an easy fern to keep . Is this true ? It is a 40 dollar plant and I would prefer not to spend the money if its going to just decline like the Boston ferns do .

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I think that BNFs are much more adaptable to indoor conditions than most others...but if your home is excessively dry, then they might have problems, too. Have you any idea what the relative humidity is in the house?

I'm sure that you know of the sensitivity of all ferns to the usual treatments for scale insects, their most dreaded pest. They do not like soap applications or horticultural oils one bit. Before spending that kind of money on this fern, be sure that you inspect it for pests VERY carefully.

Nurseries are where pests find plants that we bring home.

Bookmark   November 25, 2013 at 8:55AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeffminifield

I don't know the humidity but my house is dry I live in Denver and overall the air here is very dry

Bookmark   November 25, 2013 at 12:53PM
More Discussions
Planting Zones
I need to know the Zone for Toronto, Ontario, Canada....
bobv2
mini indoor palm tree dilemma help please!
Hey guys, I have a mini palm tree in my bedroom. It...
queenofhearts3
Schefflera and corn plant sharing a pot?
Anyone tried planting schefflera and Dracaena Fragrans...
Peter
Aglaonema - help
I bought this red aglaonema couple of months back....
bluehaven_gweb
P. erubescens: smaller and ever smaller
Hello, all. I posted this in the Aroid Forum but the...
fakechuchi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™