Old Mower Garden like aka-strawberrygoat posted!

jeannespinesJune 10, 2010

Here's a couple pics of what you can do with old equipment like the mower that strawberrygoat posted. This has been planted for several years now in a shady spot with hosta's, some wild Solomon seal, Jack-in-the-Pulpit & a couple peonies...in this side view you can see a small pine tree growing & a Red Bud tree (both seedlings when planted in the vignette):

Here's a view from the other side (you can see my painted window faintly in the bkgrd fence line (from my friend for a gift):

And here's a closer view ...that's an old John Deere planter box down in there...plus a broken vase...some moss grown on the wood tongue...can't see DS's old rusty metal truck anymore...not much left to it! LOL!

This old mower was put to rest many yrs. ago...DH doesn't use it anymore...so it's fun to use in a garden vignette! Thanks for looking. Jeanne S.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spedigrees z4VT

That is a wonderful resting place to showcase your antique mower. Was this a horse drawn mower originally, or was it pulled by a tractor? I would love to have a treasure like this resting in one of my gardens.

Bookmark   June 10, 2010 at 3:17PM
Marlene Kindred

What a great combination Jeanne! We're having to decide what to do with a lot of my Dad's old tractor accessories....I may have to borrow your idea....love it with the hostas, etc. Thanks for the inspiration!

Bookmark   June 10, 2010 at 3:29PM
jeannespines

Thanks, gals! Can you believe that this is a "horse-drawn" mower but DH pulled it with an old (and I mean old) tractor! I had to sit on that seat (for weight) so that he could cut hay ...we live on a small acreage...oh, that was so many yrs ago!...during those young & foolish & you could do anything(without much money) days!!! Glad you enjoyed my garden vignette! Jeanne S.

Bookmark   June 10, 2010 at 4:26PM
sunnyca_gw

I told my dad about the mowers but he didn't remember them, they are so neat & look so nostalgic in the garden!! Jan

Bookmark   June 11, 2010 at 1:16AM
soinspired(6 (Central IN))

I love seeing "Farm Art" like this with well established plants. Lovely, lovely...

Bookmark   June 11, 2010 at 8:08AM
mmebrady

a secretary at my school has one almost identical to that. Hers is planted with a beautiful weigela. I love driving by every spring on my way to work when it is in bloom.

Bookmark   June 11, 2010 at 9:09AM
spedigrees z4VT

Thanks for the background info on your antique mower, Jeanne. I thought it looked like a horse drawn mower. Didn't we all do crazy things in our younger days!? lol

Glad you and your DH survived the mowing adventures unscathed!

Bookmark   June 11, 2010 at 11:09AM
More Discussions
Need to repurpose a leaking birdbath
Yesterday was one of the nicest days in ages; I could...
patty2430
Thinking of turning this old water faucet into a short light post
I figured removing the faucet itself...and adding a...
cadillactaste
Craft fairs and Garden Junk
I know this really isn't the time of year to find Garden...
toomuchglass
Anybody on here from say 10 years ago?
looking for someone because I lost touch with them...
gardnpondr
Re purposing A Window
Hi, I just got all new windows for my house, and don't...
gabby811 6 NJ
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™