Consequences of sprinklers running 48+ hours straight?

BlackAceJanuary 19, 2013

This is more out of curiosity than anything else. The sprinkler system for the green space area next to our house has been on since Wednesday evening (it is now Saturday morning). I walked the lot yesterday to take a look, and as you would expect, there is standing water on the sod, and pooled around the trees. I alerted the HOA yesterday afternoon, which they were grateful for and they said they contacted the landscape company to come fix. Being the weekend, I'm not sure what will actually transpire.

Aside from a water bill that I can't even begin to imagine, are there any consequences or potential issues due to this mistake? While it's not our lot, we do have a vested interest in how it looks since we paid a big lot premium to put our house next to it, and the way it looks is important to us in that regard. Additionally, any potential ill effects due to runoff that we might see in our lot?

Should I try to shut off the water at the street as a good citizen, or will that potentially cause damage to the system itself?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Absolutely yes, it will affect the soil. By cutting off the oxygen to the beneficial soil fungi, they will die. When they are gone the soil will become more like swamp soil than lawn soil. Different types of plants and grasses will grow. One of the worst is nut grass.

Bookmark   January 20, 2013 at 6:55PM
mondo(Michigan)

I disagree, no different than a hard several day rain stormn that nature provides. If it is not a repeated situation, just let it dry out and monitor.

Bookmark   January 22, 2013 at 12:08PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Good point, mondo. If it is a one time event, and you get it cut off, the long term result will be 'normal.' I guess I was thinking of the situation where there is a low spot on the lawn that repeatedly collects water and holds it for days at a time.

Bookmark   January 23, 2013 at 11:40PM
More Discussions
Re-seeding tall fescue in winter
My tall fescue lawn has become really sparse. So I'm...
LeonidasBigalowIV
Synthetic rattan or Natural rattan furniture?
Guys, I would like to know your opinion. Which do you...
kevin497
Lawn after so much snow…what do I need to know?
A newbie here so I haven't maintained a lawn for a...
Pippin
Help! My lawn needs to recover from years of neglect.
I posted this on the organic lawn forum as well. We...
NVL4
Problem with St. Augustine grass
Hi! I live in the north of Portugal (Hardiness Zone...
Kratus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™