Pre-emergent

indy_hawkeyeJanuary 16, 2013

I live in South Georgia. It has been a very mild winter so far. I have Bermuda grass that went dormant, with the warm weather it�s starting to turn green again. Seems to early to apply a pre-emergent but the warm weather has got me thinking that crab grass and other summer weeds might soon start germinating.

1) Any timing advise to apply pre-emergent in South Georgia? I read somewhere about mid March but thinking this is too late and I am leaning toward mid February.

2) When I apply the pre-emergent, what kind of window as far as days go will it be effective.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

If your bermuda is greening, you may have missed the best time for preem. I just "announced" that it is time in South Texas. We just got an inch of rain followed by several days in the low 70s. Now it is back into the 40s but the seeds may have already sprouted. Apply after you get a rain and after the soil temp is above 50 degrees. Sounds like you're there.

It should work for a month or so. You could easily need it again before spring is over.

Bookmark   January 16, 2013 at 3:45PM
More Discussions
Poa Annua already making it's jump!
PA typically comes up here in April, we're mid Feb...
gsweater
Bermudagrass seeds from big box store
I had great luck with a certain name brand seed last...
ReelJake
What order do I restore my lawn?
I live in the CA Bay Area and have a fescue lawn. ...
Brent Villalobos
Artificial Turf and Gophers
Hello everyone - newbie in gardening here. If I am...
sallophane
Artificial Grass Maintenance?
I'm newbie in gardening. I want to know what kind of...
kevin497
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™