Interstate 80 Revisited

tehutiJune 21, 2013

This sculpture, recent to my backyard, is an assemblage of truck parts picked up while walking I-80 around Fernley, NV, including the rock which weighs in at 60 pounds.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
KathyWI

Very neat!

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 7:44PM
jlily(Z6)

That is a very thought provoking sculpture. I can see someone trying to figure out what it represents. Very colorful and unique.

TYFS Jlily

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 1:41PM
sunnyca_gw

That must be bigger than it looks. 60 lbs is 1 heavy rock!! Is that a truck rim it's in? Jan

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 6:10PM
tehuti

sunnyca Yes it is a truck rim. There are two truck rims and two different style truck hub caps. A mud flap support arm forms the center support. There is also a truck lug-nut cap and a chrome spinner. The base is a disc brake rotor. I drilled a hole in the rock and forced a 40" piece of rebar into the hole. I welded a piece of electrical conduit through the center of the mud-flap support to channel the rebar. and fed the rebar through the electrical conduit and into the ground. The sculpture is 33â wide and 50â tall. The chrome spinner I left in its original finish because it has a roadrunner etched into the center. This sculpture represents the kind of unintentional environmental pollution that occurs on AmericaâÂÂs Highways everyday.

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 7:55PM
imjustsam(6)

I think this one is my favorite. I would display this in my front yard. Very Cool!

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 8:27PM
Marlene Kindred

Very Cool! But, I want to know how you dragged a 60 pound rock back to your house!

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 12:00AM
oldcrafty(8)

I too wonder how you got that rock back! NICE piece of art.

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 4:37PM
tehuti

The Rock.
It was a difficult job but I am a stubborn kinda guy. It was hot and nasty out in the sun and I really gave it a second thought, did I need âÂÂthatâ rock? Yup. So through the nasty stickers, burs, and stabbing branches of low desert shrubs I pushed, rolled, and twisted that boulder navigating the loose sand. It took awhile but once I made up my mind it was just a matter of work - I wanted that rock. I finally managed to get the rock from the center meridian up to the edge of the freeway, walked back to my truck, drove back to the rock and that as they say is it.

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 2:44AM
Calamity_J(z7bc)

Very Cool!

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 11:54PM
More Discussions
Recycling old purses in the garden!
I would have never thought of this myself! I sure wish...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Hanging Garden Globes
Here's one of my favorite garden junk projects ever:...
janetgia
Working with crushed gemstones
Maybe this is a question to a wrong forum, but I see...
briergardener_gw
My Summer Project - Potting Shed Makeover
We had a cute little shed used for storage of our mower,...
luvs2click
Changing Landscape part TWO
The time has come. A new idea is a must come spring....
arcy_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™