first home with a lwan turning brown

iliketerrariumsJanuary 2, 2012

OK, bought a house with a front lawn. The lawn goes from the front wall of the home to the pavement where its elevated with a brick wall that keeps it level with the house. The lawns been looking great from the end of summer to the begining of fall, thats when it started turning brown towards the front end, the brown area starts at the brick wall, it extends from side to side and about 2 feet from the brick wall towards the house, the rest is still green but for some small patches of browm. I watered the lawn when my neighbors did theirs but theirs is still green but for some smaller patches of brown.(like mine) I would be thinking its just the fall if it wasn't for a majority of the other lawns looking really green! Maybe its just a case of "the grass is greener!" What say you?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grassboro

I am going to guess and say you have cool season grass (tall fescue) that is green with some warm season grass (maybe wild Bermuda) mixed in that is now going dormant and brown. See it all of the time. Look at the differences in the blades of grass and Google Bermuda and tall turf type fescue (TTTF) and see if this looks to be the case. If so what will naturally happen over time is the Bermuda will eventually take over the fescue.

Bookmark   January 2, 2012 at 4:45PM
tiemco

Where are you located? I agree with grassboro, but if you are in more northern lattitudes then zoysia would be more likely over bermuda. I live in CT and there are plenty of people that have zoysia patches, or even whole lawns up here that are currently light brown. Either way, you will have to kill the warm season grass if the patches bother you, and if that's the case, then pray that you have zoysia.

Bookmark   January 2, 2012 at 7:55PM
grassboro

"and if that's the case, then pray that you have zoysia"

Now that is funny!! I am still laughing. And the sad thing is, it is true.

Bookmark   January 2, 2012 at 8:19PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Or it could be a mix of Kentucky bluegrass (going dormant in the winter) and fescue, which remains green.

Bookmark   January 2, 2012 at 11:05PM
More Discussions
Help! My lawn needs to recover from years of neglect.
I posted this on the organic lawn forum as well. We...
NVL4
Lawn after so much snow…what do I need to know?
A newbie here so I haven't maintained a lawn for a...
Pippin
Is this sod completely dead? Any hope?
Our beautiful sod went from looking like this, after...
knatalie
Synthetic rattan or Natural rattan furniture?
Guys, I would like to know your opinion. Which do you...
kevin497
Artificial Grass Maintenance?
I'm newbie in gardening. I want to know what kind of...
kevin497
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™