Fertilizing Raleigh North Carolina

krnuttleJanuary 30, 2013

I have not lived in eastern North Carolina for about 10 years and then in Wilmington on the southern coast.

With the temperatures now in the 70's, but with the possibility of more freezes, when would be the best time to fertilize my yard. Some of the grass appears to be greening up, and some actually seems to have started growing.

Should I wait until late February or go ahead and do it now?

We live about 20 miles east of Raleigh NC.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Wait at least until you have mowed real grass for the second time. Mowing weeds does not count. If you fertilize before the grass roots are really perking, then you are only fertilizing the weeds. Waiting until the second mowing ensures your roots are ready. If you fertilize even before the weeds get going, then you are completely wasting the fertilizer, because none of the roots are ready to take up the nutrition.

If you are using organic fertilizer, then you can apply that any time. Why? Because organic does not feed the plant directly. It feeds the soil microbes which, in turn, will feed the plants when they are ready.

Agricultural grass growers wait until the initial flush of fast growth is over and the grass seems to slow down. Sometimes this is as late as Memorial Day (about 6 months from now).

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 8:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
krnuttle

Thanks

It is nice to be outside now and I am looking for something to do in the yard. About the only thing I can do now is pick up winter trash. (We had high winds last night) and drive the tractor through the rough areas of the yard, to keep it charge and maintain the paths.

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 8:32AM
More Discussions
Poa Annua already making it's jump!
PA typically comes up here in April, we're mid Feb...
gsweater
Why would my neighbor's yard be snowless?
I know this isn't really related to lawn care specifically,...
asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
Termite in my yard
I have termites eating my grass roots and killing the...
kmiec
I need a lawn "redo". More weeds than grass and more...
Here's the skinny. We live in Jacksonville, FL. Everybody...
Rich Possert
Some suggested low maintenance grasses
Zone 5B, S.W. Nebraska Hot summers, typically dry....
deviantnic
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™