Bermuda - Laid in Winter Months in Central Texas

TexBermuda1January 14, 2013

Hello everyone I am new to the forum and I did a search before posting the TOPIC and did not find what I was looking for. I live in Central Texas - Austin area and I just moved into a new home in Dec. My Bermuda sod was laid in late Nov and I have been on a watering schedule of twice a day since the lawn was laid. The grass is currently dormant. We just had our first real cold spell last week and I am wondering should I put on fertalizer and if so what kind. This is my first experience with bermuda grass. Thanks for all the help...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lou_midlothian_tx(z8 DFW, Tx)

I moved into a new house in central Texas ( west of bee cave off 71) a few weeks ago. First thing I did was turn off sprinkler system. It's just a waste of water. I suggest you do the same. We had a lot of rain last week that should keep ground moist for a good while for the new roots. Yes, they grow new roots as I've found out when I planted trees after removing Bermuda sod pieces. Bermuda doesn't really start growing till high temp reaches 80s daily which is when you first fertilize. Look for Texasweed's Bermuda Bible. It will tell you how to take care of it.

Bookmark   January 14, 2013 at 8:58PM
TexBermuda1

Thanks Lou, sprinkler system is now off. I'll search for TexasWeeds Bermuda Bible.

Bookmark   January 14, 2013 at 9:41PM
apundt-tx(8 SW Austin)

Well welcome to the neighborhood. What kind of Bermuda do you guys have?

Bookmark   January 14, 2013 at 10:18PM
lou_midlothian_tx(z8 DFW, Tx)

Probably 419 but I have a grove of escarpment live oak in the corner of back yard are in huge plant bed. Not sure how Bermuda will do. Just have to observe it while sun moves further north. St aug is not allowed by Hoa but its in the backyard so... Perhaps palisades zoysia that is supposedly okay for semi-shade.

Bookmark   January 14, 2013 at 10:34PM
texas-weed(7A)

Quit watering the grass before you kill it. There is nothing for you to do right now except wait to see signs of life come spring.

Bookmark   January 17, 2013 at 4:52PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Dang Lou. We're practically neighbors now.

Bookmark   January 20, 2013 at 7:31PM
More Discussions
I need a lawn "redo". More weeds than grass and more...
Here's the skinny. We live in Jacksonville, FL. Everybody...
Rich Possert
Some suggested low maintenance grasses
Zone 5B, S.W. Nebraska Hot summers, typically dry....
deviantnic
Bermudagrass seeds from big box store
I had great luck with a certain name brand seed last...
ReelJake
Artificial Turf and Gophers
Hello everyone - newbie in gardening here. If I am...
sallophane
poor top soil
I had what I thought was top soil brought in to fix...
olusteebus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™