What is Killing My Lawn? Devastated

ms222January 13, 2013

I live in South Florida and when I moved into a new home in February of 2012 the front yard was all weeds/dirt so I paid a gardening company to re-sod the whole front lawn. It looked great this whole time, and in the last month it is almost completely dead with brown patches all over the place. It is devastating.

I checked my sprinklers and there is adequate coverage of water. I water every Wednesday and Saturday (First 90 days I watered 4-5 times a week for the new sod) and I water for 12 minutes at 6:00 A.M.

Now in certain parts of the front lawn I have these weeds that have grown in all over (Do I pick them out..it's hard without killing the actual grass) and there's dying patches all over the front lawn.

How can I figure out what is killing everything, revive it, and protect the grass from this happening again?

I am really tight with money right now, otherwise I'd hire a professional to diagnose and repair. Thank you so much guys!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shear_stupidity(9B)

Please note... I'm no whiz at this. But that looks like Dollarweed in the first picture. As for the rest, I've only MYSELF ever seen that patchiness with grubs (when I lived in Michigan) and Chinch Bugs here in Florida.

Bookmark   January 15, 2013 at 6:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

You're overwatering for this time of year...or any time of year. This time of year you should be watering once per month and applying a full inch when you do. 12 minutes is likely not a full inch. With my sprinklers it takes 8 hours to get an inch. My neighbor gets an inch in 20 minutes. You'll have to measure yours - with cat food or tuna cans. In the hottest heat of summer you might need to go to once every 5 days but once every 7 days is usually all you need.

Also raise your mower to the highest setting for St Augustine. You never need to lower it. It will take a few weeks for all the grass to get up to that tall, but it will be worth it.

Your dead grass is from a fungus from over watering. I use ordinary ground corn meal to kill disease in my St Aug. It works every year for me.

Your dollar weed needs a spray specifically made for St Augustine. There is a black bottle with a purple label at Walmart. Sorry I can't remember the brand (maybe Spectracide). That should work and not damage the St Aug too much.

Bookmark   January 16, 2013 at 4:01PM
More Discussions
poor top soil
I had what I thought was top soil brought in to fix...
olusteebus
Poa Annua already making it's jump!
PA typically comes up here in April, we're mid Feb...
gsweater
Help! My lawn needs to recover from years of neglect.
I posted this on the organic lawn forum as well. We...
NVL4
What type of grass grows best is very shady areas in South East Texas?
I live in South East Texas and have many trees and...
dcloteaux1350
Bermudagrass seeds from big box store
I had great luck with a certain name brand seed last...
ReelJake
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™